"Don't mind if I do," Athena sits in between the mother and daughter, her brown eyes wide with delight at the tight grip that Isobel has on Elena's wrist. "Oh, that's a little grabby, isn't it? And here I thought that the wretched daughter would be bonding with her wretched mother."

Isobel's sharp eyes flicker between Athena and Stefan, who sits across from her on the other side of the table with his arms crossed over his chest.

Elena pulls her arm from Isobel's grasp, looking at Athena with wide eyes. "Stefan, Athena, what are you doing here?"

"Well, I'm here because I have a question for Mommy dearest," Athena rolls her gaze to Isobel, who grits her teeth in irritation at the interruption. "Why do you want the device?"

Isobel scoffs incredulously. "Why should I tell you?"

"Because I'll rip out your heart if you don't," Stefan clears his throat, his low drawl drawing the three sets of eyes his way.

Elena stares in abject horror at the cold look in his eyes that confirms his words, while Athena's eyes widen with a burst of adoration that makes his mouth twist into a smirk.

Isobel looks at him, slowly raising a brow. "Katherine said those days were behind you. A retired ripper."

He takes the hit with ease, but Athena can see the flinch he hides written all over his face. She resists the urge to reach for his hand across the table. "Katherine doesn't know me anymore. Why don't you answer the question, Isobel?"

The dark-haired woman narrows her eyes, looking at the three of them. "I know that Damon has the invention, and I want it. If you don't get it for me, the blood is on your hands." Though her eyes remain on Elena, her statement is broadcast to Athena and Stefan as well.

Athena chuckles as the woman gets up, taking Elena's untouched water glass and sipping out of it. "You'll have to do better than that, Isobel. But it was nice meeting you, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of each other soon,"

Isobel grabs her coat and her purse off the back of the chair, and leaves without a word, leaving the three of them at the table in the middle of the Grill.

Elena leans back in her chair, letting out a large sigh that releases the tension in her shoulders she hasn't been able to get rid of since Alaric told her that Isobel wanted to meet her. She looks at Athena and Stefan who seem to be having a silent conversation she's been left out of. "Why did you do that?"

Green and brown eyes snap towards her as if only just remembering she was still there. Elena intertwines her fingers together on the table, awaiting an answer.

"Your Uncle John is a dick," Athena sighs, crossing her legs beneath the table. "But he can never get the job done, so I figured Isobel would step up to the plate and handle things her way. The question is, is it Isobel's way or Katherine's way?"

Elena rubs the back of her neck, her skin crawling as she recalls the empty look Isobel's eyes held. "She said Katherine found her after she was turned and helped her be able to walk in the daylight. They, uh, seem close."

Stefan furrows his brows, digging his phone out of his pocket as he stands. "I need to call Damon,"

Athena mirrors him, standing and straightening her checkered dress out as she begins to trail after Stefan.

"Wait, where are you guys going?"

Athena looks over her shoulder at Elena with a sarcastic smile. "To save your life, again!"

──────

"Why did no one ever tell me how cute the witch was?"

Josh's voice floods Athena's ears and she frowns at her phone screen despite him being unable to see her confusion. "What the hell are you talking about?"