66

three's a party

three's a party

"I THINK YOUR BEHAVIOR IS BORDERING ON STALKERISH NOW,"

Athena raised an amused brow at the younger boy's words, her lips quirking up into a smile as she leaned back against his locker.

"Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing," Nick continued, his brows furrowing as his opening words truly processed in his mind. "I wouldn't want to be stalked, but if– you know what? Those are inside thoughts. What, uh, what do you want?"

"I wanted to formally invite you to a party tonight at my house,"

Nick's eyes widened and he looked at her warily, disbelief radiating off him. "Me? You want me to come to a party? I'm– I'm half deaf and a freshman,"

"I don't care," She looked at him confusedly, shaking her head. "But if your parents don't want you partying, you can just say it's for a study group or something."

"Why are you even having a party?"

"It's Caroline's birthday, it's a surprise party,"

Nick raised a brow, thinking of the blonde he'd done his best to avoid out of sheer fear. "Does she even know me? Why would I come to her birthday party,"

Athena rolled her eyes, tucking her hair behind her ears. "Look, you don't have to come if you don't want to, but I think you should. It'd be a good chance to make friends that won't steal your hearing aid, or make you embarrass yourself in front of pretty girls."

Nick looked briefly ashamed and the flush on his cheeks deepened considerably as he watched Stefan come up behind Athena and slide his arm around her shoulders.

"You ready to get to class?"

Athena nodded, leaning into his touch. "Yeah— and Nick, seriously, I hope you come. I put my number in your phone just in case you need it, okay? Oh, and bring a gift!"

Nick began to nod but he stopped, his gaze snapping up to her confusedly. "What would I even get her? What are you getting her?"

Athena and Stefan glanced at each other, the latter smirking as she looked back at Nick. "Don't worry about our gift, yeah? Just, uh, get her a scarf or something."

Stefan leaned forward, clapping him on the shoulder hard enough to make him stumble on his feet. "We'll see you at the party, alright?"

Nick watched in typical speechlessness as the two stalked off down the hallway toward their class. The boy frowned, feeling both overwhelmed and slightly invaded. He processed Stefan's parting words and shook his head in befuddlement. "I didn't say yes,"

He stopped again, patting his pockets frantically for his phone as he remembered Athena's mention of giving him her number. "How did she get my phone?"