Chapter 4: "Diabolic Waltz"

"So, please explain the different affinities magic can have and what they stand for. Go into the differences between the political agendas and what the magicks usually stand for." Said Salazar in a stern voice.

"There are magic affinities which are not your choice. They are given to you by blood, as all old families are either "dark" or "light" inclined. This inclination comes from their "those who dance" status, which is either yang - for fire, lightning or light – or yin for earth water and dark. The wind affinity cannot be placed in either category and can reach its greatest potential with a balanced use of both dark and light spells. Then there are the affinities based on your character, like creature inheritances and contractor status. Lastly there are the choices you can make whether you are a good or fiendish mage. Good mages use their power to create and protect, as well as heal and restore. These mages still can destroy, however they won't do so without a very good reason. Fiendish mages are what you could call "unhinged" they destroy, attack and shed blood simply for the sake of doing so. They have no real goal or reason to live, so they try to fill up their emptiness with the pain of others. An evil mage will only be stopped by their own demise, for he does not care for anyone but themselves.

In modern society, "dark" has come to be a synonym for "evil", which is utter nonsense. The "dark" policy simply states that it would be more advantageous for us to hold on to our traditions and integrate muggleborns into the magical world as soon as possible, while the "light" sector believes it would be better to slowly open ourselves up to muggle technology, so that we can slowly start to understand our non-magical neighbours. Both sides have extremists and – as in every political debate – neither of these extremes are right. In my opinion we should keep an eye on the muggles and use their scientific accomplishments for our purposes, yet still hold on to our traditions as magic needs to be nourished to be able to grow. However such a political course can only be achieved far into the future, as the current government is extremely "light", labelling everything remotely dark as "evil" and prohibiting it. However the dark extremists call for the complete isolation from the muggle world and the banishment if not death of all muggles and muggleborns. There are very few neutral dark families left after the war, since the sect called "Death Eaters" killed any dark family who refused to aid them." Replied Harry, rolling his eyes. Salazar had asked that question for at least three times in the last two hours alone.

"You mentioned blood statuses in your last answer. Discuss what they stand for." Salazar continued unimpressed.

"Blood status comes from which "blood" you carry. There are purebloods, half-bloods, redeemed, muggleborns and squibs. A pureblood is a magical person that can prove their ancestry to have no muggle blood in it for the last five generations. A half-blood is a magical person with at least one magical direct family member, not including aunts, uncles and cousins. In short a half-blood is a wizard whose ancestry has not reached pureblood-status yet. Then we have squibs who by all means should have magic, yet are not deemed worthy of Lady Magic's gift. Most of the time they are banished to the muggle world. They still count as pureblood if their parents were, so if two "pureblood" squibs have a magical baby the child will be acknowledged as a pureblood. If two squibs have a non-magical child the child also counts as a squib, but their bloodline goes dormant. If one of the descendants is magical however, they will count as a "redeemed" and can claim their dormant blood line. Such was the case of my mother, whom everyone saw as a talented muggleborn but was I truth one of your heirs. The last caste are the muggleborns who are magical persons born from completely non-magical parents. Usually Magic gifts muggleborns with a magical core vaster than an average pureblood, since they are supposed to be clan founders for new families. A true muggleborn is rather rare, however in our generation there are "many" of them since the war erased several pureblood families.