CHAPTER 7: SANTA'S ELVES

Mulai dari awal

His laugh hasn't changed; it's still the same irritating sound prickling me until my nerve-endings, just a little deeper with the years, and his eyes are crinkling the same way to intensify the pure mischief in their clear jade shades.

"Where are we going?" I try again, as out-of-breath as him, struggling to follow his wide paces as we're leaving the square, now crossing the road.

His tall legs look determined to lead us wherever he has decided, yet it's clear he won't give me an answer, so I avert my gaze from his way-too-happy face and search around the empty street for any clue of how I'm gonna be eaten.

"The orphanage." I stop, recognizing the old building standing in front of us.

It still looks the same as in my memories: large and old, yet full of colors from the drawings and paintings displayed on the windows.

"Yes." He turns to me with what is probably the first smile he offers me, not a wicked smirk, just a genuine smile. "You know how my parents organized the Christmas Eve Party every year?"

I nod, memories of these parties that my family and practically the whole town attend every year floating back to me. We're still going actually, and it's one of the last lines of my Christmas romance plan. Though the most magical memories I have are from the parties Theone's parents have organized every year until three years ago.

"You know how important it was for them... My dad has spent a good part of his childhood here..." He shrugs, throwing a glance at the old building before his eyes come back to me with the hint of his usual smugness reappearing. "Well, this year they had no one to organize it, so I volunteered, and you're gonna help me." He heads for the front door without expecting my reply, knowing I'm at his mercy.

"You want me to help you with the party in exchange for your silence about my plan with Aden?" I lift a dubious eyebrow even though he can't see it.

It sounds too good to be true. Organizing a Christmas party isn't a chore for me. Could the devil be nicer for the holidays? No, it doesn't look like Theone, and I'm staring at him through my narrowed eyes as he stops to hold the door for me.

"Yes. You're the expert in decoration, aren't you?" He smiles once again genuinely, and I don't know who has possessed his body, but it can't be Theone.

Though I won't complain about this Christmas miracle!

"You know you could have asked me directly, without blackmail and all?" I offer him a smile too.

"I thought we were doing things the tricky way." Here, I recognize the Theone I know and his famous dimpled irksome smirk. "And would you really have accepted if I'd asked you?" He lifts his eyebrows, his clear eyes looking sincerely surprised.

"Yes, of course! Not for you, but for the poor kids that deserve a decent Christmas" I offer him a smirk too, also imitating his movements and entering the building without looking back at him.

"Hey! I can totally organize them a magical Christmas!" He catches up with me in two steps.

"A few cheap Christmas lights and crackers aren't magical," I point out, throwing a glance around the room.

Inside, the building is so different from the old facade. It's all renovated, and the colors that we can glimpse from the windows outside are just a sneak peek of all the drawings displayed around the room. It makes the hall looks so welcoming despite the narrow space and basic items that are two chairs and a small desk.

"It is for the kids." Theone's shrug leaves me shivering with the flashes of what this party will look like if he organizes it by himself.

"Oh, yes, you must know since you're still four mentally!" I taunt him before narrowing my eyes at him. "But then why am I here?