dude, did he just say that?

He threw the ball up to reach the ceiling and caught it as it came back down

He threw the ball up to reach the ceiling and caught it as it came back down. "Don't you think it was a little too soon to tell her about your mom?" Christian asked.

"I didn't tell her what happened, I just said that she didn't say anything. She did something." He tossed the ball again with a stern expression on his face.

"I mean it's your business, but I don't know she was like a mom to me too when my mom was not really there in the house a lot. So when we both were there, it hurt the same maybe not as much pain as you had but I understood your feelings." He gave me the ball and I looked at the leather texture on the object and then looked over at him, "No it's fine, I knew you cared for her as much as I did."

He nodded his head and smiled, "Remember that one time when she made us Pizza Rolls and you had put one in your mouth right after it came out of the oven, you burned yourself so bad but I couldn't stop laughing? Then your mom made me go get you ice, you didn't even want to eat anymore, and she was telling us the story of when she bit herself and started to bleed like crazy." He paused and looked at my ceiling with that slight smile that I loved from my best friend. "She was so fun (Y/n)."

"Yeah, she was." I remembered her soft textured (y/h/c) hair, which was the same color as mine. She had many freckles, only a small amount I had inherited and her wavy hair was (the same/different) (as/from) mine as I had (y/t/h).

"Don't you wonder where your mom's at now?" I asked bluntly. I didn't realize what a harsh question it could be to Christian, but he looked over at me and didn't seem to mind.

"Well she's still married to Tom or whatever his name is, and she recently tried to add me on instagram, but I declined it. I looked at her profile though." He took the ball from me and threw it up again, "She lives in Barcelona now, and I have a brother."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah, but I don't claim him." He said with a laugh, "He's too white to look like my brother."

"At least you have a sibling." I looked over at him, "I mean I have you and Vin, so I guess that's enough."

"Enough?" He asked confused, "It should be everything!" I started laughing and he just smiled while looking at me, "Plus we both know, Vinnie is turning into more than just a friend to you."

I smiled at the thought of Vinnie, his nice hair, and sweet smile, "Yeah, I guess that's how were going."

"Well I'm happy for you guys, I guess." He hugged me close to him and I smiled, "I mean it was bound to happen anyway, especially since Vinnie gets everything."

I sat up from the bed and stood up to stretch, "You'll find her one day." I said with a smile as I kissed his forehead.

"Nah, if it's not you then I can wait. Maybe I could go backpacking in Europe or just become a billionaire with a huge company." He said as he picked up his jacket from the floor, "I don't need to get married yet."

"True, true."

"Plus this is our one of our last years in high school, I'm not wasting any time."

>

"I bet you're happy." I turned around as I saw the man I hadn't talked to in a while, behind me. I was in the grocery store and the awkward tension around other strangers was already weird, but now with my father there I didn't know where to go or move.

"Why would that be?" I asked.

"Because you're not with me anymore, you don't have to worry about rules." He parked his cart next to mine and stood there.

"Well I'm just helping out Mr. Wu with groceries, he comes home only once in a while, so I told him I would get what he needed."

He nodded his head, "Well, I can't wait to play against you guys in the game in a couple weeks."

"Yeah, I guess."

"Congrats by the way."

"For what?"

He smiled at me. A smile I hadn't seen in a while and now I was a bit nervous as I stood there and watched as people walked by. "Well they just named you the number one player in all of the state's high school teams, that's a hard thing to do."

"Oh." I was honestly so excited but the thoughts inside my head were going crazy as my face was serious, "Well I'll work harder until the end."

"I know you will." He grabbed his cart and started to walk away. I was going to say something, but I couldn't let it out. Maybe I just didn't want to say it in the first place.

I stood there for a little while until I felt someone put their hand on my shoulder, "Here you go, six apples." He placed the bag in the cart and I smiled.

"Thanks Vin." I kissed his cheek as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Was that coach?" He asked as he saw my dad pass by the aisle again, but this time not looking at us.

"Yeah." I said bluntly.

"Did you talk to him while I was gone or-" I nodded my head which cut him off. "What'd he say?

"He said I was the top player of the state right now. But I don't even know how to feel about that." He looked at me confused and then I could tell he was forcing a smile on his face as I had been in that spot for the ranking and he wasn't.

"Vin, don't worry I'm pretty sure you're at the top with me." I moved the cart and he dropped his smile as he realized that I understood he wasn't so happy about my success.