6)Divorce

"Dark inside my Imagination" by Verona
***

Luckily the sprinklers and encasing fire alarms broke up the party in the club fast. Elle went home with Lucy and was able to avoid any awkwardness with Jake. Later, Elle sent an apology text message and a weak excuse that she had been feeling ill, but she was certain Jake would see right through that lie. 

Regardless to whether he saw through it, he still gave Elle a few days off work to "recover". The days off were excruciatingly long for Elle. She had nothing to occupy her time and thoughts other than working out and feeding her grandparents' farm animals. By the time she was due back at Bean Bodega, Elle was relieved to find Jake would be off that day. Her first day back was a slow one, not too many customers and easy enough requests for lattes and iced coffees. Only one Frappuccino request, and thankfully the machine didn't give Elle any trouble.

"Excuse me!" Said a squeaky voice from behind the counter. The abnormally high voice broke Elle from her concentrated thoughts as she deep scrubbed a stain of gooey syrup she found. She hadn't had a customer in the last two hours; she had nearly forgotten the coffee shop was still technically open. Although, she hadn't heard the bell above the door that indicated someone had stepped inside the shop. "Miss?" Said the voice again. Elle stepped closer to the counter to peer over.

There was an exceedingly small person below the countertop, their head not reaching the bar. Barely coming up to the height of 2'7 was what looked to be a young man. His eyes resembled a cartoon; large, brown, and bug-like. He had an oversized grey beanie covering his head, his clothes were a brilliant silver and gold. Silver, oversized gloves covered his large hands. Elle's eyes widened. She didn't recognize this individual, but she recognized the clothing. The bright white crest of a snowflake was on his chest. The was what royal advisors and servants wore in Winter's Kingdom, minus the beanie. But Elle soon realized the reason for this beanie; the young man was an elf from the North Pole. His too large of ears would stand out amongst humans if they were to be seen.

Elle hurried over to the front door to flip the closed sign up. She couldn't have someone come inside the empty shop right now. She was the only one scheduled that afternoon; there would be no one to interrupt this conversation. "Queen Evangeline," said the squeaky elf happily, releasing a low bow. His oversized beanie slouched on his head. "I come bearing an important delivery."

"Delivery?" Echoed Elle.

"Indeed," said the elf proudly, brandishing a gold file from the inside of his silver and gold robes. "I am Snivel, son of Morphin, grandson of Aleph; trusted advisor of Winter's Kingdom and messenger for Jack-"

"What does Jack want to give me?" Demanded Elle in exasperation, desperate to find out what was inside the golden envelope. Her interruption spooked the young-looking Snivel. He seemed new at the job, not quite sure how to work the customer service part of a situation. Elle suspected she threw the elf off his game by interrupting his opening monologue. He looked unsure of himself all the sudden.

"A delivery for you." He bowed again.

Elle eagerly launched herself forward, spooking Snivel further in the process. She snatched up the envelope, hurriedly trying to open it up to see the contents. Something was going on; that was why Jack had finally delivered snow to where she lived. He wanted to contact her, but perhaps he was too busy to reach out personally?

Elle strangely didn't feel that was true. Why would Jack send her a care package instead of coming to see her face to face? The golden envelope was flat indicating there was nothing but paper inside. Elle didn't quite know what she was hoping was inside the envelope. But she wasn't expecting to read the following.

A heavy frown crossed Elle's lips the moment she read the date on the envelope. This was a very old package. She recognized the exact date; it was postmarked the very day Jack broke her heart. Their wedding day.

On the front was a very lengthy piece of parchment that had a signature at the bottom. Elle's brows furrowed as she scanned the contents. It was all technical mumbo jumbo from the North Pole. Monarchy laws and what not. But at the very bottom there was a petition signed and stamped. This was an official document made by Lady Gaia. Also below, was a signature from Jack Frost and a brief statement. Elle's shoulders slowly slumped as her eyes widened. She had assumed her marriage had already ended the moment Jack broke up with her. Elle never assumed there was an actual contract to sign when one's marriage ended to an immortal. Snivel stiffened; clearly sensing Elle's suddenly heartbroken expression for she looked to be near tears.

"Dissolution papers," said Elle in a dull voice, her eyes unable to remove themselves from Jack's signature. All that needed to be done for their marriage to officially end was for Elle to sign her name. According to the papers, as soon as she did, the divorce was finalized.

DISSOLUTION OF MARRIAGE

-between-

King Jacques Frost & Queen Evangeline Darrow Frost

THIS LEGAL BINDING CONTRACT STATES THAT ONCE THE TWO MARRIED INDIVIDUALS SIGN THEIR INDIVIDUAL SIGNATURES THE MARRIAGE BECOMES NULL AND VOID. THE INDIVIDUAL WHO MARRIED INTO ROYALTY HEREBY AND NO LONGER IS ALLOWED REIGN OF KINGDOM. ONCE THE CONTRACT IS IN FULL AFFECT, THE SPOUSE ENTERING INTO ROYALTY IS SURRENDERING THE RIGHTS TO ALL THINGS LEGALLY BELONGING WITHIN THE CONFINES OF MARRIAGE TO THE ROYAL.

a) SO LONG AND SO FORTH, ONCE THE SIGNATURE IS DOCUMENTED, ALL RIGHTS AND BELONGINGS OF ROYALTY NOT BELONGING TO THE INDIVIDUAL WHO ENTERED INTO ROYALTY BY MARRIAGE IS TO BE SURRENDERED AT ONCE. THE DIVORCED PARTY IS HERBY AND NO LONGER PRIMARY CAREGIVERS OF ONE ANOTHER IN THE MAKES OF ACCIDENTAL OR INTENTIONAL INJURY.

b) IF A MEMBER OF THIS UNION DOES NOT CONSENT TO THIS DISSOLUTION, THEY HAVE A CENTURY (ONE-HUNDRED YEARS) TO REBUKE THE DISSOLUTION PETITION. IF NOT SIGNED OR REBUKED WITHIN THIS TIME FRAME, THE MARRIAGE WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE DISSOLVED BY MOTHER NATURE HERSELF.

c) EVEN IF AN INDIVIDUAL REFUSES TO SIGN THE DISSOLUTION PAPERS, THE TREATY OF 14AD STILL STANDS THAT AN INDIVIDUAL MAY ENTER AS MANY MARRIAGES THEY WISH WITH MORTALS OR IMMORTALS OF THEIR CHOOSING OR BETROTHMENT.

d)NO MINOR OR ADULT CHILDREN CAME FROM THIS UNION HEREBY CANCELLING OUT ANY CUSTODIAL CLAUSES.

e)IF AN INDIVIDUAL DOES NOT SIGN THIS HERE DOCUMENT, BOTH MARRIED INDIVIDUALS STILL HOLD THE RIGHTS TO THE LUXURIES THAT MARRIAGE PROVIDES. THEREFORE, IN THE TIMING OF AN UNFORTUNATE DEMISE OF ONE INDIVIDUALS, THE MARRIAGE IS STILL LEGALLY BINDING EVEN IF ONLY ONE INDIVIDUAL CONSENTED TO THE DISSOLUTION. THE MARRIED INDIVIDUALS ARE STILL IN CUSTODY OF THEIR SPOUSE WITH ONLY ONE SIGNATURE UPON THE DISSOLUTION DOCUMENT

f) IN AGREEMENT WITH FIGURE e), ALONG WITH MARRIED SPOUSES REMAINING IN CUSTODY OF ONE ANOTHER, MARRIED INDIVIDUALS STILL HOLD A HAND IN RULE OF ROYAL'S TREASURES.

VIEWED, ACCEPTED AND SIGNED BY: Jack Frost, King of Winter's Throne-

VIEWED, ACCEPTED AND SIGNED BY: -

ADDITIONAL COMMENTARY BY THE INITIATOR OF DISSOLUTION: Nothing more needs to be said. -Jack

Perhaps the very worst part for Elle receiving these divorce papers was seeing that they weren't signed today. The part that stung the most was seeing the date originally issued was the same day that she married Jack.

***