Dear Player, You've Just Been Played

Welcome to Lakeridge. Population, 1, 033. I'm Hailey Parker, number 1, 034. Now, Lakeridge is a calm, quiet town, whose population as a whole, is made up mostly of sweet, innocent, little old ladies living in small houses with their hundreds of cats or their husbands who moved here after they retired for the "scenery", or some because they've lived here their entire lives and don't know where else to go. The rest of us, well, we're just teenagers and kids trapped here because we're still stuck with our parents. Don't get me wrong, but when I say calm, I don't actually mean it. What I mean is that Lakeridge is one of the most boring place in most likely, the entire world. Nothing ever happens here. The biggest event that occurred in Lakeridge within the past 3 years, was the county fair.. Which has THREE rides. 

   Now, welcome to Lakeridge High School. Where things get a little more, well, out of hand, to say the least. Just like every other high school in the world, our high school has cliques. Populars, jocks, geeks, gamers, weirdo's, emos, goths, blah blah. The one group that you should stay away from, is the players. Or, player. He has his own clique, because you can't exactly put him in one. He hooks up with everyone, then, to get out of the relationship that never was, he tells them that he's "not ready for commitment."  Now, every school has a player, or players, but ours is the best of the best. 

   Meet, Tyler Scott. The "all-star" quarterback of the Lakeridge Lions. But that's not the only game he's good at. No. Tyler Scott has become a pro at head games, and hooking up. Yes, Tyler Scott is one of the most gorgeous guys ever. Light brown hair, just the right amount of stubble, hazel eyes, and a perfect smile. But he's also, the most dangerous. He'll make you feel like you're the only girl that he's ever laid eyes on, and as soon as he's got you, he snaps you in half. Tyler's the kind of guy you're supposed to stay away from, but you can't.

                                                             *          *          *          *          *

    I parked my Mom's car in the student parking lot and headed inside. It was 9:40 and I was SUPER late for  Mr.Tibbs' class. Actually, I was super late for school in general. Crap, crap, crap. I never did this. How could I forget to set my alarm clock! I pulled out my blackberry. 3 missed alerts. They were all from Katie. 

WHERE ARE YOU? CLASS IS STARTING... -KATIE

HAILS, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE BEFORE FIRST. I HAVE TO TALK TO YOU!! -KATIE

ALARM DIDNT GO OFF? LUNCH, K? NEED TO TALK. SEE YOU IN THIRD. -KATIE

  Typical Katie. Always had something or other to talk about. I opened my locker and texted back quickly before I put my phone away. 

LUNCH IS GOOD. MEET AT MY CAR. LOT B. HOPE UR OK. -HAIL

I slid my phone in my pocket, and opened Mr.Tibbs' door, apologizing quietly. I slid into my seat. Mike, a childhood friend of mine, glanced over at me and smiled. I smiled back, took out my books and a pen, and tried to focus on what Mr.Tibbs was saying, but I couldn't. I kept focusing on the texts from Katie. What'd been so important that she needed to talk about? Was she okay? 

Finally, the lunch bell rang. 

"Don't forget guys. 5, 000 word essay is due tomorrow." Ms. Willet always had assignments due. She was one of the toughest teachers I had. Sighs and moans escaped the mouths of others as chair legs scraped against the linoleum floor. Ms. Willet began to say something else, but it was faint to me as I was already out the door, and heading for my locker. I threw my things inside, grabbed my sweater, wallet and my keys and shut the door. 

"Hey." Mike said. 

I jumped. "Oh, hi, Mike. You scared me. Sorry, but I've gotta run, Katie's waiting for me." I threw my keys in my pocket and shrugged on my sweater.  Mike muffled something, but I, in a hurry, as always, was already walking away. 

It was warm outside, for late fall anyway. I walked toward the car,  feeling the breeze lift my blonde hair off my shoulders and into the wind. I unlocked the doors and smiled at my best friend who seemed upset. There was no noise but seatbelts clipping inside the car. I turned the key in the ignition.

"Where to?" I turned my gaze to my best friend who was completely zoned out and looked awful. "Katie, what's wrong?" I asked, concerned.

"HIM! That's what's wrong!" Katie's voice was sharp. Like she was choking back tears and hurt. I followed Katie's finger which was pointing in the direction of, you guessed it, Tyler Scott. 

"Oh, sweetie. I'm behind you every step of the way and you know that, but please tell me you didn't." I  said, taking my sobbing best friend in my arms. 

"I-, di-, Hai-, wh-, m-" I couldn't understand a word Katie was saying. She was crying too hard now. 

"Calm down, Katie. It's okay. Here, we'll go to my house alright? We can talk there. It's a little more private than the school parking lot."  

Not able to say anything, Katie just nodded her head, wiped tears from her mascara covered face, and smiled at me. It wasn't exactly the most meaningful smile I'd ever seen. I could see the hurt in Katie's eyes. But I knew that this was Katie's way of trying to reassure me that she'd be okay. Eventually.. Which, to myself, was better than nothing.