☾ 23: Motel ☾

I jumped through my bedroom window. I avoided the front door in case Laine was waiting for me there. Once I got in I shut the window as quietly as I could. The house seemed pretty quiet. I checked the clock and it was midnight, everyone is most likely asleep.

It was then that I noticed Laine asleep on my bed. I slowly crawled in myself, making sure not to wake her up, and wrapped my arms around her. I fell asleep within seconds.

When I woke Laine had returned to her room. I went over to check on her and she obviously asked where I had been. There was no point in lying, so I sat next to her and came clean about everything.

"S-so you're just going to leave?" She said looking down at her fiddling hands.

"Well, I do kind of want to see my real parents. I'll be back though, it's only for like a week."

She nodded slowly.

"Sorry, I didn't tell-." I was about to grab her hand when the doorbell rang.

We sat in silence for a few moments then someone walked into her room, looking down at their phone.

"Hey, Laine! So, I was thinking after the movies tonight we go to this new restaurant-." She paused seeing Laine wasn't alone. "Oh, hey Cassy."

It was Heather.

"Hey." I greeted back though the atmosphere grew awkward.

"So... You guys are like... Hanging out tonight?" I asked genuinely curious.

Laine didn't look at me as she replied.

"Something like that..." She said biting her lip nervously.

That's when it clicked.

"Wait... You guys are going on a-. I didn't know-."

So many thoughts began running through my head. How long had this been going on? I thought Laine and I were starting something. Was I too distant?

"We are just seeing where the night takes us. It's not like I'm dating anyone anyway." Laine stated.

My heart ached at her words. She was right and I guess I have been too focused on my life to officially ask her out. I don't know why I would've expected her to wait. Me leaving wouldn't have helped the situation either.

"Laine and I have been friends for a long time. I've always liked her but never dared to tell her until I realized I should at least try before someone else swoops in." Heather said and as our eyes met I swear I saw a challenging look in hers.

I never would have guessed but things are starting to click now. Maybe that's why she'd give me odd looks.

"Good for you two," I said trying to seem like I didn't care but I felt heartbroken.

"Thanks! Laine if we don't go now we'll be late for the movie." Heather said.

Laine got up and walked out without sparing me a glance. Just before Heather followed she turned back to me.

"No hard feelings right? I'm sure you can understand..."

Before I could reply she left. Understand what? Having feelings for someone for so long? No... She meant something else.

"Well, so much for spending time with your girlfriend." I jumped looking behind me to find Katherine smirking.

"Shut up. She's not my girlfriend." I grumbled.

"I can see that." She said as she stood in front of me.

I rolled my eyes at her comment.

"Since your friend ditched you, now would be the perfect time to get going."