☾ 9: Darkness ☾

I was waiting for Mason by the old cabin when I heard a twig snap.

"Boo!" Mason unexpectedly popped out of nowhere and before I could stop myself I punched him across his face.

"Ouch... what the hell!" He yelled rubbing his cheek.

"Oops sorry. It is your fault for sneaking up on me though. My instincts kicked in." I shrugged and laughed.

"I didn't think you'd punch me! Anyway, are you ready to go? Did you say your goodbyes to that human I have no clue why you love."

When he said that it kind of shocked me. I didn't love her. It's too soon for that. I definitely like her though.

"No, I didn't say goodbye... I just left before she woke up. She probably thinks I'm just hunting."

I wanted to say goodbye to her but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I didn't want to make her upset. With how close we've gotten over the last several weeks I know it'll hurt her as much as it's hurting me.

We knew quite a bit about each other. I told her about my childhood though I left out most of the dark details. She told me about hers as well. Her life seemed nearly perfect. She was living a normal life I could only dream of having. While she didn't say it you knew she had to be popular at school. She was perfect in every way you couldn't see how she wouldn't be.

My mind trailed off to the kiss we had last night. Why did she do that? While you enjoyed it it makes leaving so much worse. The thoughts of what you could have had if things were even just slightly different.

"Hello? Earth to Cassy!" Mason waved his hand in my face snapping me back to reality.

"Sorry, what is it?"

"We should go now."

"Right."

Just as we are about to leave I can hear a voice calling my name in the distance. I turned around and as I realized who it was my heart turned into rage with a bit of sadness.

"Mom?"

As she came closer I saw she was crying which was odd because I'd never seen her cry.

"Oh my God! Cassy look how grown up you've become!"

Did something possess my mom with someone nice? Turning her gaze over to Mason she spoke. "And who is this?"

"I could say the same to you," Mason said a bit protectively.

"He's no one of your concern," I said.

"Then may I speak with my daughter alone?" She asked still carrying a voice that seemed excited to see me but I wasn't convinced.

I signaled for Mason to go and he did.

"Oh, honey!" She got closer as if to hug me but I stepped back.

"What do you want?" I folded my arms.

"Sweetie, I came back to come get you and take you home."

I laughed. Does she really think I'd want to go back home with her? After everything, she's done to me?

"No chance."

"Sweetie... listen I'm sorry about the past."

"Sorry?! Are you kidding me? You ruined me!" I looked down at the floor clutching my hands making a fist, trying so hard not to rip her head off.

"I'm sorry. I never meant for any of it to happen I swear.." Tears began pouring from her eyes.

My fists softened as I looked into her watery eyes trying to figure out why she was doing this.