☾ 15: Trust ☾

I was so focused on reading my parent's journal, it was all I paid attention to. There was some pretty interesting stuff in it. For example how my parents are friends with Mason's.

"Hey, what are you reading?" I look up to see Laine standing at my door.

She was wearing a cheerleading uniform.

"Nothing. Don't worry about it." I said as I continue to read.

"Cassy come on. What are we doing?" She said slipping into my bed and laying next to me.

"What do you mean?" I kept my focus on the journal.

She took notice and snatched it away from me.

"Hey, be careful with that!" I yelled.

"I just want to know why you've been avoiding me lately."

She held the journal up so I couldn't grab it.

I sighed. "I'm not trying to avoid you okay? I'm just dealing with some stuff right now."

She handed me back the journal.

"Right. Stuff that you'll never let me in on. It's not my place to know but I'm sorry if I was expecting even a fraction more." She said solemnly.

She made her way off the bed when I grabbed her by the arm. I know I upset her but that was never my intention.

I hardly know what's going on myself I couldn't even begin to think how I'd be able to tell her. As far as I know, I've been living a lie this entire time.

"Walk with me?" I asked.

She nodded and I took her to the dock. We slipped off our shoes and let our feet hang into the water. The weather was warm. The sound of the water calming.

I realize how unfair I've been towards Laine. She saved me multiple times and allowed me to continue to stay in her home. I decided it was time to at least tell her a bit more about myself. I told her everything I had experienced. From my abusive 'parents'. Even earlier when Mason and I met up with that old lady.

It may be stupid to tell her practically everything but I trusted her.

"You've had a very... interesting life."

"I know right? I think I deserve my own tv show."

She laughed at my joke.

"I hadn't meant to keep things from you. I just needed to wrap my mind around it all myself. Now that you know my life story I'd love to hear yours."

She smiled. "Mine is nowhere near as eventful as yours." She suddenly panicked. "I-I don't mean it in a way that suggests my life's better than yours or anything I just-." I took her hand in mine.

"I know." I smiled.

She discussed moments in her life I had yet to hear. I could tell her father always working had an effect on her. Before we realized it was getting late.

"We should get going," I suggested.

"No, wait. I want to watch the sunset."

"That won't be for another hour or so."

She ignores me and splashed her feet in the water. A devilish idea suddenly came to mind. I jumped into the water making it look like I fell.

"Cassy!" I heard her voice through the water.

I kept myself under watching as she tried looking for me. She was on her hands and knees so I took that as the perfect opportunity to drag her in.

She poked her head up coughing but I knew she was fine. The water itself wasn't that deep where we were.

"What the heck was that for?!" I couldn't help but laugh.

"Even when you're angry you still find a way to look adorable huh?" I smirked.

"Shut up!" She shoved me while turning her head away.

I knew she was blushing she was just trying to hide it. She suddenly looked at me with seriousness. She opened her mouth to say something but then shut it quickly.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Nothing. Come on we should get going."

—————————————————————

I was in my bed reading the journal while Laine was across from me on her phone. Our legs tangled together.

Laine's mom was kind enough to get me a phone but I haven't used it much.

"What were you going to tell me earlier?" I asked not being able to focus on the words before me.

"Nothing."

I glance over at her. She was still looking at her phone.

"I know you were going to say something." I put my book down and make my way over to her.

I get on top of her snatching her phone away and putting it aside as. "What were you going to say?"

"Don't worry about it." She smiled at my concern.

"I'm already worried about it. I could tell it was important."

"Oh really?"

"I mean I am a werewolf. I can practically read minds." I say said as she laughed.

"Well, if you can read my mind what's the point of me telling you?" She raised a brow.

I shook my head in amusement. Sitting up I pulled her along with me.

"I'm serious," I said.

She sighed and thought for a moment.

"What are we? Better yet what are we doing?"

That question caught me by surprise.

What were we doing? I mean I liked her and all. I had only stopped myself from acting on my feelings because I was going to leave. Now that the threat of leaving is gone I shouldn't still feel the need to restrict myself. Yet I still can't help but hold back.

I don't know much about myself. There is still so much I have to figure out. She's the first girl I've had feelings for the last thing I want to do is screw that up.

I've lashed out at her before. Had I been hungry at the time things could have been much worse. As much as I don't want to think about it. I don't think I could forgive myself if I ever hurt her mentally or physically.

"That's... Um." I scratched the back of my head.

"It's fine. You don't have to answer. I was just curious." She said as she stood up ready to leave.

"Wait."

"I need to go to sleep." She said softly kissing my cheek.

As she walked out I was rendered speechless. I sighed and fell back into bed falling fast asleep.