I can't help but ...

Though longing is a slow moving ache in my chest I can't help but want more, if only as a reminder of you. A feeling that so greatly contrasts the whirlwind of life. And despite the pain, I can't help but find myself craving it's bittersweet taste. I can't stop myself from listening to the haunting melody that lies in your wake. I can't help but wish for your lips on mine, even despite the looming figure of reality that reminds me that this is something that I can never attain. And such a harsh reality it is, one of sorrow and desperation. A dark and endless void in which you simultaneously light up and make infinitely darker with only your presence. Do you know the effect that you have on me, the sheer power you hold over me? I'm sure someone as insignificant as me does not gain a single thought from you, even so, I can't help but wonder if you care. And there it is again, "I can't help but". A phrase that plagues my mind, that shows me everything I yearn for, everything that I am disillusioned enough to even imagine. And now as I stop and consider all that I feel, I try to convince myself that none of it is even possible. But that foolish and tragic part of me still hopes. Hopes that maybe, just maybe, I could have this life with you. Only for the thought to be crushed by my rationality and even though I know better, I still think "what if".