December Special Nineteen: Decorating the House

A/N: Sorry for this being late! It's 3.1k words to make up for it! I've been really busy for the past few days, with Christmas Eve being four days away. I hope you like it! It's focused a lot on Regulus' relationship with Kreature 👀. Everything ends in pain, doesn't it? On a funnier note, I hope you like the photo I got from Pinterest up there! I found it quite amusing. Remember the more you love on this story, the more your character is featured in the normal chapters!

𝕽𝖊𝖌𝖚𝖑𝖚𝖘' 𝕻𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝖁𝖎𝖊𝖜

Regulus took a deep breath as he prepared to ask his parents something over breakfast. It had never been the same since Sirius left back in his fourth year, the air was colder, and harsher, as if a warm fire had just been extinguished.

"So, mother, father," Regulus said slowly, he had rehearsed the words about a million times after he woke up. (He woke decently early at home, for fear of his mother storming in and screaming at him).

"Don't say so, it makes you sound like the middle class," Walburga snapped, and he immediately flinched away, swallowing thickly.

Regulus raised his head back up again, he was quite thankful he dyed his hair back to black before he came home. If his mother would snap at him for using the word so, just imagine the horrors he'd face if he were to come home with dyed blue hair -- even if it was a prank from Sirius. He missed his blue hair though, maybe Sirius could prank him again after they got back to Hogwarts.

"Mother, father, I was wondering if perhaps I could go to the Clark' home for a bit today to see Miranda," Regulus asked, and he bit his tongue as he awaited an answer.

"Miranda Clark," Orion mumbled, reading a biased newspaper that the blood-supremacists all read. Regulus knew it was biased because it never featured anything about muggle-borns, and barely anything about half-bloods, and it always talked about the Dark Lord and pureblooded. people

"The girl he's courting, you know Mr. Clark and Mrs. Clark, they're a good pureblood couple with our same thoughts on mudbloods and halfies. I hear they even want their daughter to be a Death Eater, just like what we want for Regulus," Walburga told Orion, and Orion just kept his head in his newspaper. Walburga looked over to Regulus With an expression Regulus was sure could freeze water, "You may go—"

Regulus nearly breathed out a sigh of relief, but he knew he'd be punished for it, so he just kept his breath in.

"— if you demonstrate the Crucio curse on Kreacher before noon," Walburga said with a sneer.

Regulus' face nearly dropped in horror, but it didn't because he knew he'd be punished for it.

"Of course mother, may I be excused?" Regulus asked.

"You are excused," Walburga said with a wave of her hand.

Regulus left the table, leaving his plate where it was. He would've much preferred to put it in the sink so Kreacher would have less work to do, but he would've been punished.

Regulus went back to his room and fell into the bed, groaning into his pillow. Why was his mother like that? Honestly! Crucio Kreacher? That was disgusting! Regulus loved his house-elf, Kreacher did everything for them after al. Why should Regulus be anything but grateful for all he, and his house-elf family, has done?

Sometimes — no, all the time —- Regulus thought his mother didn't have a heart. He was sure she ripped it out years ago and stored it in a box somewhere, probably rotting by now. One day back, barely even a day back, and he was already being reminded of why he hated his family so much. Lovely.

"Does Master Regulus wish to speak his feelings to Kreature?" A gravelly voice said from beside Regulus.

Regulus pokes his head up and sees Kreature standing by his bed. Regulus quickly sat up, "No thank you, Kreature, did you hear what my mum said?" Regulus asked.