- Chapter 5 -

Sykkuno groans as he gets out of bed. Today is the day in which he'll receive his results from the Pharmacy. Sykkuno was sure that he had passed, he didn't want to be cocky, but he was confident in his skills. He puts on his clothes and his leather boots and walks down into the lobby.

''Hey, Sykkuno.'' Sykkuno turns around and sees the Inn owner, Toast, gesturing him over. 

''Yes?''

''Sorry to tell you this, but your place here has expired. You can always renew your room for another 20 metal coins.''

Sykkuno takes out a small bag used to hold his coins. ''I only have 14...''

''Listen, I can't make you any deals here.'' He said sternly. Toast shook his head and sighed. 

''Either you pay to stay, or you leave.''

Sykkuno looked at the floor. Although he felt worried, he couldn't panic. He'll stay as the calm and collected person he is and figure this out. ''Thank you.'' He whispered, and he walks out of the Inn.

As his face hits the cold breeze, he immediately begins to walk towards the Pharmacy. If he could at least make some income at all, he'll have a place at the Inn. But he remembers that staying at the Inn isn't long-term. He can't stay there for the rest of his life, but surely he'll figure something out.

Ring.

Sykkuno hears the familiar ring from the bell above the door once he enters the Pharmacy. However, it is not Ludwig he sees, but two people at the counter, stocking the shelves. ''Uh, hello?'' Sykkuno speaks. 

  The two people turn their heads around. ''Hey!'' The woman says. ''What can I do for you.'' Sykkuno walks up to her while the man continues to stock the shelves and fixing up unorganized herbs. ''I took the course to become an herbalist here, and I'm supposed to meet with Ludwig,'' Sykkuno says. ''What's your name?'' The lady says, picking up a piece of paper. ''I'm Sykkuno.''

The woman scrolls her eyes down the paper, ''Oh yeah, Ludwig isn't actually here right now. He had a meeting with the herbalists from the castle.'' Sykkunos eyes widened, ''Really?''

''Mhm, talking about who knows what.''

''I'm Yvonne, that guy is Edison,'' Yvonne says, gesturing to the man behind her. The man gives a little wave, ''Hey.'' Edison greets. Sykkuno nods his head respectfully. ''I heard from Ludwig you guys were out to collect herbs, right?''

''Yeah, especially from the place up north. They're getting an early winter with snow and whatnot. So we collected herbs that grow in the winter like Watercresses, Oregon Grapes and kinni- kinnikiki-.''

''Kinnikinnick.'' Edison interrupts. ''Thanks, I can never pronounce it right,'' Yvonne says. 

''Anywho, if I look at your test results here...'' Yvonne pulls out a folder and opens it up. Sykkuno assumes it holds the participants' test scores. ''Alright, good news, you made it through!'' she says. Sykkuno smiled. He knew he could do it.

''We've determined that you're best at creating prescriptions using medicinal herbs, so you'll be taking orders to produce medicine for customers. ''Ok, I got it!'' Sykkuno says. ''When do I start?'' 

''Tomorrow, first thing in the morning.'' Yvonne answers. ''Great, I have to wait another day.''

''Ok, I'll see you tomorrow then.''

Yvonne and Edison both give Sykkuno a small wave as he leaves, but there was a problem. He didn't have a place for the night. As it looked like it was going to rain, he was sure he couldn't sleep outside. ''Maybe I could stay at the cottage?'' he thinks.

He mindlessly walks to the forest, encountering Rae, who lends him her lantern again for when it gets dark. It wasn't even midday yet, but Sykkuno didn't know what else to do. So he sat beside the door of the cottage, pulling out some carrots he put in a jar beforehand as a snack. He sat peacefully listening to the birds and the sound of the river running. He pulled out his notebook, full of his observations on medicinal and regular herbs. To pass the time, he wrote down everything that he had learned so far. He even made a different section within the book about his experience in Offpire. All the people he'd met and what he'd done so far, he had only stopped when he heard something above him. It was the sound of water. Thankfully there was an overhang above him, shielding him from the rain.

This was a time where Sykkuno really had some time to sit and think. As most of the time, he had been worrying about his test score. The brunet closes his eyes and thinks of nothing.

◈◈◈

Thanks to the help of Dave, Corpse had managed to sneak out of the castle undetected. Cadáver threw his hood over his head and travelled through the south-west exit into the forest. As it was getting dark,

Corpse was expecting Sykkuno to be arriving shortly to the cottage. But to his surprise, he saw the boy leaned up against the wall sleeping soundly.

He knelt down to the boy and brushed some hair away from his face. Corpse took his key and unlocked the door. Although he usually leaves it unlocked, but now he's been taking precautions. Since he wouldn't want some rando coming up to the door and waltzing in while he was with Sykkuno.

He scooped up the sleeping boy and brought him to the couch, carefully laying him down before going to close the door. Corpse gently slid a pillow under Sykkunos head and waited. He didn't want to disturb the peaceful boy.

He tenderly shook the boy awake. ''Hm?'' Sykkuno mumbled. ''Oh, Corpse!'' Sykkuno sits up but then begins to wobble back onto the sofa. Corpse titled his head in confusion. ''Are you alright?'' he asked. ''I'm fine, I have low iron,'' Sykkuno responds. ''I'm all lightheaded when I wake up from a nap.''

Corpse smiles under his mask. He looks towards Sykkunos's bag and notices a book. Sykkuno seemed to have caught him staring and brings out the book in front of them both.

''It's my notebook.'' He explains. ''Just a bunch of stuff to do with herbs.'' Sykkuno handed Corpse the book, and he opened it up. There were diagrams drawn and leaves, petals, and roots of herbs stuck to the pages neatly. ''You can give it a read-through if you'd like,'' Sykkuno says. ''I will.'' Corpse nods. ''Thank you.''

Sykkuno nods in response as his body seems to tense up. ''Are you cold or something?'' Corpse asks. ''I could bring you a blanket.''

''That's fine, I just had to ask...'' Sykkuno begins. Corpse listens expectantly.

''Could I maybe stay here for a while?'' 

◈◈

Hope you guys enjoy this chapter! 

Again thank you so much for reading :)

I also don't wanna go to school someone come save me now 

Have a good morning, afternoon or night!

-fai