- Chapter 29 -

Two days had already passed. Sykkuno continued his studies while managing to keep a low profile.

But today, he was a nervous wreck. Emma and Corpse are coming over with the hit-list of the raids. Since they'll be doing most of the talking, Sykkuno shouldn't have to worry. But he can't help it.

Asher was in the medical wing, sitting at a table in a lab reserved just for them. He was eating eggs and bacon, along with orange juice. Asher looked over at Sykkuno, mouth stuffed. "Morning," he peeped. "Good morning," Sykkuno giggled at the face Asher was putting on.

"I'm gonna head out into the plaza,"

"Why?"

"Just for a couple of books I saw on my break yesterday," Sykkuno responded. It wasn't a complete lie. But he also wants to keep an eye out for when Corpse and Emma arrive.

"Ok, try to be back here before lunch."

Sykkuno nods and walks away, speed walking past other herbalists.

By the time he was out of the castle, there were already clusters of people lining the streets. They were looking down the road where a carriage, similar to the one Sykkuno rode, was being pulled along. They're here.

He lines up in between to other townsfolk to get a clearer view. However, a few ladies began to push him away. Sykkuno stumbled to the ground and groaned in annoyance. He stands back up and goes on his tiptoes to look above the crowd. It was at that moment when the carriage passed. The herbalist saw Corpse looking at the window, unamused while scanning the masses.

But Sykkuno's heart leapt out of his chest when The Prince finally laid his eyes on him. Corpse awkwardly raised his hand to give a wave to him. The ladies from earlier began to swoon, waving back at him. That's just what makes Sykkuno feel so happy. Corpse wasn't paying any mind to the others since he always kept his eyes locked on the boy in the crowd. They only had eyes for each other.

Sykkuno quickly waved back and smiled softly.

He contentedly sighs while walking away to the bookstore.

◈◈◈

As promised, Sykkuno returned to the castle just in time for lunch. He rushed to his room to place his newly bought fantasy novels and waited for Asher.

When he heard the door creaking, he looked to the side to see Asher holding two black boxes. "I grabbed lunch for us." He says, placing both boxes on the small dining table. "Thanks!" Sykkuno replied.

They both shuffled into their chairs and opened the lid to the boxes. Inside were fried veggies and crab bits embedded into some rice. So, they began to eat.

"I saw The Princess of Ambrose return here with The Prince from Offpire. The crowds were enormous."

"I would guess so," Asher started, "once they get married, Offpire will have an official alliance with Ambrose. The two kingdoms have just been neutral with each other for decades."

"Marriage, of course."

Sykkuno didn't say anything after that, and neither did Asher.

When they finished their food, Sykkuno took it upon himself to wash the dishes. "I'm going back to the medical wing. You should go there soon as well," Asher says. "It's kinda boring without you with me."

The young boy practically sprinted out of the room afterwards. Sykkuno grinned at the thought that his presence is amusing.

He finished washing up the dishes and left them to dry. But he wasn't ready to head to the medical wing just yet.

Sykkuno walked out of his room towards the main hall. Once he was there, he hurried past butlers and maids. He made sure to avoid all contact with the guards as well.

He knew there were many guest rooms in the place. As a child, he played in every single one of them. Sykkuno had to figure out which room Corpse was in.

When Sykkuno reached the end of the hallway, he noticed a few suitcases and bags beside the final door of the last room. This must be it.

He knocked gently on the door a couple times. Sykkuno heard some shuffling coming from the other side, then the doorknob rattled.

The door opened, and just like he thought, Sykkuno saw Corpse standing right in front of him. "Thomas? You're here," he says. "I thought I would come to see you." Thomas answers.

Cadáver gently pulls Thomas into the guest room, shutting the door behind them. Sykkuno runs and throws himself onto the comfy bed. Cadáver jumps on top of him, and the two boys explode into giggles.

"You're- you're crushing me!" Thomas yelped.

Cadáver said nothing and rolled them over to their sides before sliding his arms around Thomas. "Is everything alright?"

Thomas held on to a sad smile. "Yeah, nothing bad has happened so far."

"Mm, that's good. What about your work?"

"Also going well, although Asher is putting in most of the work." Thomas snickered. "Asher is here?"

"Yeah, you can come by to say hello later!"

"Sure."

They both continued to cuddle, listening to how they took breathes in sync. During the days they've spent separated, Cadáver had never seemed to get rid of the thought that the chances of a good life living with Thomas without complications are practically non-existent. He slowly realized his father has no intention of letting Cadáver refuse to be engaged to Emma. Although that's what Cadáver thought at first.

"Could I come to see Bimbus too?"

"Oh, I had to leave him back in Offpire. The Chief said she would take good care of him, and he would get to spend more time with Bingus."

"Bingus, the cat. I swear he is so cute."

"He is, isn't he?

They continue to talk about what happened while they were apart. But before Sykkuno could leave, Corpse decided to ask one last thing.

"Hey," he said.

"Yeah?" Thomas replied.

"If things were to hypothetically go wrong. You would stay with me, right?"

"Hmm, what's your idea of 'wrong'?"

"Like, if we fail to stop my father. I still want to stay with you."

"Of course I'll stay with you! You keep on getting cuts and bruises all the time, so I need to be there to heal you!"

Cadáver smiled and took off his mask, an action he rarely does, even with Thomas. "Would you be okay with running away with me? If it ever came to that?"

Thomas didn't say anything for a while after that. He only thought, letting out little hums.

"Ah, nevermind," Cadáver began, "it was a stupid idea anyway-"

"Sure."

"Huh?"

"If it ever came down to it, I would run away with you."

◈◈◈

Here is your meal you guys

QuESTIONS: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Have a good morning, afternoon or night!

-fai