3

I followed behind mother as my heart quickened wondering what she needed me for. She opened the door to father's office, a place that I only knew to be for when I was I trouble. Had I done something wrong that I didn't know about? Mother gently pushed e into the chair that sat in front of the desk as I looked at them with fearful eyes.

" We want to tell you before they come in," Mother started. I nodded not understanding who 'they' were but I also knew not to interrupt. " We found someone to be your future husband." Oh, they have my arrangement ready. My heart dropped slightly at the news, I never wanted to be in an arranged marriage but it was bound to happen someday I just didn't think it would happen so soon. 

" Who are they?" I asked. Mother looked to father with an anxious expression making me nervous once again. " Do I know them?" I asked. Just as she was about to answer there was a knock at the door.

" Come in," Mother said softly. The door opened revealing someone I didn't think I would ever see in this situation. My breath was caught in my throat as we locked eyes before I looked to my feet not believing this was true. Draco Malfoy stood in the door tall and proud. 

" Wait it's him?" I asked I hadn't meant for it to come out as harsh as it did. I loved Draco, maybe even more than a friend but I had never imagined that he would be the one I would be getting married too, hoped yes but not expected. 

" Yes dear," Mother said smiling tightly and looking at me with pleading eyes. Draco took the seat beside me as his parents stood behind him. I've never been so uncomfortable to be around Draco then I was right now, and that includes the time he walked in on me changing.

" Now before we announce your engagement-" Father had started but I cut him off.

" Engagement!?" I yelled as I stood up. " We're still in school! We're still kids father!" I yelled in exasperation. I could get telling us about an upcoming arranged marriage but to actually be engaged are two totally different things. I mean Max and Elizebeth both knew as soon as mother and father knew who they were going to get married too but they didn't get engaged right away.

" Sit down," Father said glaring. " You're embarrassing yourself." I looked down as his tone was strict and cold, something that I was used to by now. I could feel Draco's eyes on me as father talked about what was to happen. I couldn't listen, I was too shocked to comprehend what was going on. I only started listening as he mentioned there were rules. Why did we have rules? Max and Elizebeth didn't. He gave us a paper that was signed by both of our parents, they had a contract for us. How long had they known about this and not told us?

1. They must be friends before they become engaged. They had to have known about this for a while if they had time to plan for us to be friends. We'd been in each other's lives for our whole lives.
2. Neither parties are to flirt, kiss, or hold each other in public spaces unless they are asked about said relationship and if they are happy. What?! So they want us to be in a loveless marriage? Or make it seem that way.
3. No sexual encounters or flirting with other people. This is the only one I agree with so far.
4. They can not be seen mad at one another if they have an argument. That's going to be hard. Do we just have to put fake faces on all the time?
5. They will get married as soon as they leave Hogwarts and have children. The firstborn has to be a boy, if not the child has to be given up. That's just evil. I won't do that. How could I give up my firstborn just because they aren't a boy? And right out of Hogwarts? I do have dreams and things I want to do with my life other than being a wife and mother.
6. Both must always know where the other is at all times. That'll get annoying really fast.
7. They will both become Death Eaters when the times comes. That would have happened anyway.

" Th-these are so absurd!" I said after I had gotten done reading. Bellatrix sighed dramatically looking to father.

" Oh please! You should be grateful! Do you know how many girls or families would feel honoured to get an opportunity like this! You get to be one of the greatest families there is and you sit there mopping and arguing! How rude of you!" She huffed crossing her arms before smirking and lowering her head so it was beside my ear. " Maybe I should take you to the dungeons and leave you there for a couple of days, maybe then you'd learn some manners hm?" She asked in a voice that sent chills up my spine. I looked to father hoping he would stand up for me but he did nothing just glared at me.

I fell back into my chair. I looked to Draco for some reassurance or even to see that he was as mad as me about this. There was no emotion on his face as he stared at the paper in front of him. 

" Y/n this is happening whether you like it or not so suck it up," Father gritted out in a low voice. I looked down as I felt tears in my eyes. I had always hoped that my parents would at least take some care into what I had to say about an arranged marriage, but they don't care. I felt so betrayed by everyone, mostly my parents.

" Now you two get out we have other matters to discuss," Father said. I nodded getting up in a hurry and waiting outside the door for Draco. He didn't meet my eyes as he walked past me. His expression was still blank as he walked. I picked up the ends of my dress ad ran as best I could in my heels to him.

" Draco! Wait!" I yelled after him, he listened. He stood still but he didn't turn to look to me. "What do you think about all of this?" I asked desperate to know how he felt and to know that I wasn't out of my mind for thinking this was all crazy.

" Does it matter what I think?" He asked in a tired tone. " It'll happen anyways but it seems you don't want it that way." He began walking again as my heart sunk again. I didn't mean to come across that way, I thought he'd know that.

" I never said that," I defended.

" You didn't have to Y/n, it shows by the way you were fighting your parents," He looked over his shoulder casting a glare my way making me want to crawl into a hole. 

" I didn't mean it like that Draco," I said gently walking closer to him and watching as new people arrived. " I just feel betrayed by them, how long were they keeping this a secret? Are we only friends because they wanted us to be?" I asked letting my worries out, but instead of trying to comfort me like usual he walked away.

Had I just lost my best friend because of this?