1

When the world seemed so big and I thought I could conquer it all with one swift motion of a wand it was so simple. Now, everything seemed so hard and scary. The Dark Lord was back and I was to be one of those dreaded Death Eaters. I wish I could go back to the simpler times when it was just me and Draco against the world, where it was just me and my siblings against our parents. I still remember when we started Hogwarts ad how happy I was to be going to school with my best friend not knowing how the years ahead would turn out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we apparated in front of the Malfoy manor my grin widened more. It had been lonely the past few days without Maxwell and Elizebeth home, Maxwell was with his new wife and Elizebeth was in France with some of her friends. The door opened after mother knocked revealing the sweet smiling face of Narcissa Malfoy. She let us in as she tod, one of their many house-elves to go get Draco. When he came down I hugged him, he hugged back but not like he used to. 

" I missed you Draco," I said as we pulled away he gave a tight smile saying he did too. Ever since we were eight he had stopped being the sweet and caring Draco that I knew he was around other people. " Can we go out to the garden?" I asked mother and Mrs Malfoy. They nodded as they left for the parlour. 

" Have you gotten your letter yet?" Draco asked as we walked through the maze of flowers that they had in the garden. He had his hands in the pockets of his dress pants as he looked to the ground. 

" Yes I have, I'm assuming you have?" I said looking back to him as he nodded. I sighed wishing he would talk to me like he used to before his dad made him what he was now. " Elizebeth said she would help us if we needed it." When she told me that I was relieved, he looked like he was too from the sigh he let out. 

" How's Max and his wife?" Draco asked. I smiled thinking about them, they seemed happy even if they were in an arranged marriage. They had been friends almost the whole way through Hogwarts so they had a lot of time to adjust to one another. 

" Good, Max and her are going to the Carribians next week," I said humming afterwards picking up a black rose from one of the many plants. I giggled as I remembered when Draco and I had danced and I misstepped putting my heel on his toes. I saw Draco smile a little as he sat down on the nearby bench as he watched me pick a couple more flowers.

" Are you making another bouquet?" He asked and I nodded.

" You should know by now that I do this every time Draco," I said smiling and shaking my head at him. He smiled again which made me feel good. He hardly ever smiled now so every time he did it was like finding treasure. 

" Here," He held another black rose for me but this one had some white splotches on it. I smiled grabbing it saying a small thank you as I did. I sat down beside him with a handful of roses in three different colours. I always did this when I came here, I picked a different type of flower and brought some home with me, I picked the colours based on what was going o in my life or who I planned on giving them to. 

" What's the meaning behind them this time?" Draco asked as he picked up one of the ones that had fallen. I pulled the scarf that I had tied around my wrist apart and tied it to the bottom of the stems of the flowers before answering him. 

" Well, lavender roses can mean mystery, wonder, splendour, and enchantment so I thought that this batch of flowers could be about us going to Hogwarts soon," I said. He nodded showing that he was listening as we began our journey back to the house. " Blue roses mean mystery also along with impossibility or the unattainable." He gave me a questionable look.

" What's impossible or unattainable about Hogwarts?" He asked.

" That I'll be able to make my parents as proud of me as they are of Max and Ellie," I said still with a smile even if it made me feel bad. He stopped in the middle of the pathway taking my shoulders in his hands and turning me to face him. 

" You are amazing Y/n, you already make your parts proud and you haven't even gone to Hogwarts yet," he said in his quiet reassuring voice. " Plus if you ever need help in something I'll be there for every step of the way." I nodded smiling. 

" Thanks, Dray that means a lot," I said looking down to my feet before looking back to him. I think that was when I realized I liked Draco Malfoy. 

" Don't black roses mean death?" Draco asked as we began walking once again. 

" It can also mean new beginnings," I said as we made it to the back door. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the following days, I would go to Diagon Alley and get a car, something Draco always teased me on. ' Why get a cat instead of an owl?' He'd always say. ' Owls are so much better'. I got my wand which was 9 1/2 inches, birch wood and phoenix feather. I'd go to Hogwarts and get sorted in Slytherin like all of my family for many generations. I'd find out that Harry Potter was in Hogwarts with me and that the Dark Lord was coming back. 

In the following years, it would get more and more hectic. In the second year, Mr Malfoy complained that Potter had let one of his elves free this is also then the Chamber of Secrets was opened and the school found out Harry was a parseltongue. Draco got mad when he found out people thought he was Salzar's heir.

There never was a dull year, third-year Draco ' broke' his arm due to a hippogriff and Sirius Black escaped. Fourth-year there was the Triwizard tournament that Potter obviously won. There was a Yule Ball that Draco and I went to together, only as friends of course. We had kissed but it hadn't meant anything. Fifth-year Dorles Umbrudge came and almost ruined everything even if Draco thought she was helping. 

Now at the beginning of the summer, I found out that I would have to become a Death Eater along with most of my Slytherin friends. I never did want that dreaded mark on my skin but it looked like I had no choice but to get it, at least I had some time before I had to get it.