Chapter 11 - Eyes

Night loomed over the house, for everyone else it was a peaceful evening to Texas it was like a figure watching them and waiting to pounce. He gripped closer at his bedsheets, the moons light spread across his face, his window was open to hear and see this side of the house.
Texas stared up at the stars, the stars reminded him of eyes, then Alabama's eyes. Those gentle red shining eyes. Red would normally be seen as evil but his they were so soft and gentle, they would have a hint of pink to them, which was now the same colour as Texas' cheeks as he flushed thinking about Alabama.

Then he heard it, the thud. And again the thud towards the house. A thud in the house. Texas gripped at his bed sheets, the floor outside there was a creak. The noise shot bullets into his ears, shatting the layer of defence his brain has from the noises and the darkness. It was now he could hear all the noises in the night but he could also hear people talking and laughing, but the house was silent, could he hear from the  cities away? It made him realise how disconnected the house really was from the cities, how alone they were. And how vulnerable they were.

More creaks outside, was it Confederate? Had he come to take another state? So many thoughts raced through Texas' mind only were the thought's silenced by the sound of heavy breathing. . .

At this moment he was aware of how the darkness seemed to engulf him and trap him like a blanket, the force that hid within the thick black was watching him. There was no noise, yet the still shadow spoke to him words he did not understand but also did. It was odd. It was scary. He felt a force trickle up his back from bellow the bed, the map was bellow the bed. The map was important to him, he didn't know why but Texas liked the map and he could feel that the figure in the shadow, the one he believed to be Confederate wanted the map too. Texas feared to move incase any trace of him being awake would bring him to being hurt or taken by it. He layed still as sweat now dripped down his face from the tension in the room.

The Darkness shifted. The fear began to dance in his chest. As the beast watched him pretend to sleep. The breathing got closer and even though it sounded to be right by his ear, he felt no breath only heard the noise. Texas' hand twitched, the one lying beside his ear only to feel empty air around him, the breathing suddenly came to a stop. There was nothing really there.
The darkness seemed to lighten and that thick blanket weight that it held over Texas left. The Darkness was no peaceful, he could see no figure in it. Texas reached and grabbed the map then--

Another thud came from outside before the sudden rusting of leaves. Texas leaped to his window to look out, was it Confederate? He couldn't be sure but he saw two figures in the darkness, they almost blended to look like one but here it was more noticeable by the legs and body the one was holding. He had come for a state.

Then the figure turned its head and looked up and made eye contact with Texas. Though the night was thick, the only natural eyes were the stars, Texas could see the figures eyes, they were so bright and pricing his vision and understanding, they were sharp and hot like a lazer that cut out all sense Texas knew. Texas began to shake as he held close the map to his chest, looking out of his window at the Red eyes that stared back at him.