𝐑𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲

Maddy stumbled through the door, her unsteady steps met by the concerned gazes of JJ and John B. Her "habits" had been causing issues within their group.

"Maddy! Where have you been?" JJ's voice carried a mix of frustration and concern as he stood from his seat.

Maddy, swaying slightly, attempted to maintain her composure. "I didn't think you'd be this mad. It's not a big deal. I can take care of myself." 

The sight of the hickeys and smeared lipstick on her face only intensified John B's anger, and he quickly turned away to avoid looking at her. The silence was deafening

Maddy tried to downplay the situation. "It's okay, calm down. It's nothing, I just went out with friends," she slurred.

John B's usual expression was replaced by a cold, angry stare. It was unusual for him to get this upset with Maddy, and the anger in his eyes made her feel uncomfortable. John B suddenly stood up "Jesus christ Mads, do you understand how fucking worried we were!" He yelled, walking towards her. 

"You don't understand. Look I'm-"

"I swear to god Maddy if you say you're sorry one more fucking time. That's all we've been hearing for the past three weeks and you just keep repeating your mistakes, we're sick of it. No more staying out late," JJ said angrily, throwing his hands up.

Maddy slumped onto the couch and buried her face in her hands, groaning as the alcohol-induced headache intensified. She couldn't hold back the tears any longer, and JJ's expression softened as he saw her cry. He pulled her close, his arms around her as she sobbed against his chest.

"Can you please just tell us what's going on? There must be a reason why you come home every night practically drenched in alcohol, you sleep around, you take drugs, you're out of it all the fuckin' time. We're worried about you, Mads! What's been going on with you, it's like I don't even know you anymore," JJ whispered, concern and frustration evident in his voice.

Maddy sat up, wiping her tears away, and looked at JJ. "You remember that time I got jumped by kooks? When I actually got badly injured?" Both JJ and John B nodded, their worry deepening. "You don't know everything. Only Kie knows."

"What?!" They both looked at me in utter confusion. It wasn't hard for me to tell people what happened. I'm an open person and although it is somewhat hard to talk about the trauma of the situation, I genuinely do find it comforting to share my experience with people going through similar emotions. Sexual assault recovery is different for everyone, but that happened to be my coping mechanism. The reason I didn't tell the boys was purely for their own feelings. I knew it would upset them. JJ would be consumed with guilt thinking that it was all his fault because he wasn't there, and John B would just be so upset at the thought of it. I don't know what he would do.

"What?!" They both looked at Maddy in utter confusion. They had been unaware of the full extent of what she had experienced. She had kept it to herself, trying to protect them from the emotional turmoil it would inevitably cause.

"I never told you, but they, uh, they didn't just hurt me in that way, I guess," Maddy admitted. A flash of realisation crossed their faces, and they stared at her in shock. She figured it was best to be blunt with the painful details.

"They. Um." Maddy took deep breaths, trying to speak properly as her voice shook. It was difficult, but she knew it was the explanation they needed. She could sense every bit of emotion they were feeling through their body language alone. JJ sat down next to her and put a gentle hand on her back.

"They touched me," she choked out, leaving them in a stunned silence. The weight of her confession hung heavy in the air. Eventually, she found the strength to speak again. "No. I mean, they raped me," she mumbled, her voice breaking as more tears threatened to fall. "I'm sorry," she whispered between sobs.

John B walked over and held her, gently kissing her head as she cried. "Don't be sorry. This is not your fault."

"It was kinda my fault though. You've seen my outfits, and I know I shouldn't have been out that late by myself. I was totally asking for it, let's be honest." She choked out, glancing at JJ, whose face twisted in disgust.

JJ and John B's reactions to Maddy's words were filled with disbelief. JJ was the first to respond, his face twisted in disgust. "Who in god's name got that idea into your head?" he questioned. "There is no fucking excuse for that. Never. Don't you dare blame yourself for this. You are a victim, and don't let anyone get it in your head that you were asking for it."

"No one is ever 'asking' or 'deserving' of rape," John B added. "My god, Maddy. You should've told us, fuck. I'm so sorry." His voice was heavy.

Maddy whispered quietly in response, "It's okay. I love you. Both of you."

John B still clung to her tightly, as if he were afraid she might disappear at any moment. "We love you too."

"Who was it?" JJ questioned angrily, pacing the floor.

"JJ this is not the time-" John B shared a look with him, warning him not to push for an answer.

"I-I don't know. I didn't see all their faces, it just... It all happened so fast." Maddy buried her head into John B's chest. In truth, she knew it was Rafe, but revealing that fact could lead to consequences that she did not want to deal with.

"I'm gonna fucking kill him." JJ muttered under his breath. "It was Rafe, wasn't it." Maddy looked up and shook her head at him, biting her lip as tears streamed down her face. "I knew it. I fucking knew it. I'm going to kill him." He stood up, and she desperately tugged on his arm. Glancing at him, she saw tears in his eyes.

"Please don't," she whispered, pulling him into a hug.

"Nobody gets to hurt someone like that and just fucking get away with it. Nobody," JJ spoke, through gritted teeth.

"Please just leave it for now, Jay, don't leave me," she pleaded. "Please."

"Fine. You need to know I'm not letting this go." JJ mumbled. He laid down, pulling Maddy closer and wrapping his arms around her. "Anyone that hurts you, Kie or Sarah dies."

"That's a bit dramatic JJ." John B snorted, and Maddy laughed, wiping her eyes.

"Dead serious." He mumbled. 

"Okay but if you end up in prison that's on you." Maddy mumbled.