Prolouge

The awakening

I woke up, as usual it was 7:00am and the sun was rising. I ran downstairs for breakfast. But breakfast wasn't there, "MOM!" I yelled. No one responded. I ran to her room. Maybe she is still sleeping I thought to myself, but last night she was acting a bit strange. She was crying saying that she is sorry over and over. I opened the door and to my horror I saw her. She was in her bed; I would've thought she was sleeping if it wasn't for the blood. Someone must have broken in and killed her... but then why would she say sorry, why was she crying. Was it suicide? No, it couldn't have been. My mother would've never killed herself. But then as if the universe was calling my stupid, there was a note. In her handwriting:

Hello my dear Eve

I'm so sorry but if you are reading this it means I have killed myself.

I know it is sudden, but it was for your protection.

I had to write this to let you know that I love you and I would never leave you,

If it meant we could live a peaceful life.

You need to find your dad

He is a spy, that's all I know

He left us when you were born,

that's 8 Years ago. I know that you're still a child and that is why I died

People were after me and I knew they would get to you before they get to me.

I have made some mistakes, when you're done reading this

I need you to call the police use the suicide note taped behind this one and burn this one before they send you to child services.

No one can ever know why I did this

This is to protect you, I love you and I know it seems selfish but hopefully you will understand later.

I knew she wasn't being a model citizen but I didn't think it was this bad. I knew she was breaking the law by going with some people to make some money on the side. But that was to pay for the food we eat and the bills, she had to, what did she do to make them angry? Before I knew it it was noon and the police are taking mom away from me. I didn't burn the note, that was all I had left of her, I put it in my pocket. I couldn't do anything, all I could do was cry, but crying doesn't solve anything. I got up and went to the lady with a badge that said Veronica, child protective services. She told me that I am going to be put in a foster home and that they are going to take good care of me. She asked if I knew Spanish, I nodded ( mom taught me that languages are an opportunity to see more sides of the world and that it is important for me to know as many sides as I can) If you only know one side of things you will never truly understand anything, there is always another point of view, then how can you change the world.  Veronica said that my new foster family doesn't speak English very well, and the orphanages are full. So far they are the only ones willing to accept a new child so  fast. Of course, I said yes. I wanted to get away from this madness as quick, but I had to be careful, I know they're going to watch over me like hawks. This is because they have to as I am child that has gone through a traumatic experience, that for some reason feels like my mom prepared me for this. It weird, I should be feeling a lot worse, shouldn't I? I just feel numb, is this normal? Well I shouldn't talk about this because then they will probably send me to therapy or something like that, that puts me more at risk, with the people mom used to hang out with. I need to act like a normal child that has just lost her mother, that means I need to act sad, this is for my safety.  I spend the rest of the day packing what I need and leaving everything else behind. By nightfall I go over to Veronica's house and she says I could spend the night and early tomorrow I will meet my new foster family. "Okay, thank you for everything and good night." I say quietly. "No problem, sweetie, but are you sure you don't want to eat anything?" she asks tenderly and motherly. "no." I say, she is right I should eat but I don't think I can when all I think about was how mom wasn't there for breakfast...