Chapter 2

Clovers pov:

Looking at the building in front of me I was terrified. It was the same building that haunted my dreams. The sign in front read:

Ms. Margarets Orphanage

From the outside no one would suspect anything. It wasn't old and broken like most buildings in nightmares are. No, its a nice looking brown wood building about 3 stories with light coming from the windows. There were trees and flowers outlining the drive way. There was even part of old chalk drawings on the pavement that had yet to be washed away.

At a glance many assume the people who live here are happy or well taken care of. What they don't see is the inside. The reality. But I guess that's a lot like people, we see a glance of who they are or what people want us to see. Most people at school would have no idea I was an orphan. They think I'm just a shy nerd. Which might be true but it's not all of me. I-

Crack!

Hearing a branch snap I quickly came out of y thoughts and looked around. Realizing it was just a animal I started quickly hurrying up the drive way not wanting to waste any more time.

Opening the door as quietly as possible I thought I might be able to sneak in and pretend I had been here the whole time. Turning I quietly shut the door hearing it click.

"Mhmm"

I stopped dead in my tracks still facing the front door. I knew who it was and I wasn't ready to turn around but I knew it would be worse if I didn't. Slowly turning on the balls of my feet I kept my eyes trained on my shoes and pretending to inspect the dirt on them.

"Is there a good reason you're late or do you find joy making my life a living hell? Huh do you. I swear your parents are so lucky they don't have you around." she snarled at me.

I tried to stop it but a small whimper left my lips before I could stop it. Glancing up at her I realized she heard it because her lips turned into a satisfied smirk. She knew she hit a nerve. I never knew my parents or what happened to them. I always tried to remain positive that maybe they wanted me but passed way and are watching me from heaven or that they were going to come back for me when they were able to. Over the years those dreams diminished and I realized what really happened.

I was unwanted

Always have been always would be.

I was brought back by my head swinging to the right and banging against the front door. Bringing my hand up to my cheek I realized she slapped me. Hard.

Bringing my gaze back up to her I realized she was dressed in a nicer outfit than she usually was.

Ms. Margaret was a classy woman. She was always in clean, pristine, ironed pencil skirts collard shirts and blazers. Most who saw her at a glance would presume she worked in a law firm or in an office job. No one would think she looked after children but then again it was never what she wanted. She never told me or talked to me about it but she wasn't always this way. When I was a toddler she had a loving husband whose dream was to open an orphanage. They weren't able to have kids so they figured it was a way to fulfill their dream while helping kids. Sadly, her husband passed away from cancer when I was 4. It left her  really depressed and she slowly took it out on the kids here.

Looking back at her outfit I saw she had a deep blood red dress on with black heels to match. Her medium long blonde hair wasn't in her usually bun but going down her back in waves. Her lips were lined and filled with red lipstick that matched her nails.

Noticing my confused gaze she took her hand and squished my cheeks and lips together with her nails digging into my cheek painfully.

"What I said, while you were in your useless head of yours is that I need you to keep yourself and the other little brats quiet and out of the way tonight because I have guests coming over and they don't want to see little whores like yourself now do they." She snapped in my face tightening her hand on my face which made her sharp nails dig further into my cheek. Because of the way her hand was squishing my lips a strangled whimper left my lips and I tried to move my head out of her grasp which only ended up with her tightening her grip again. "Move and I slap the other cheek. Nod if you understand."