Chapter 7

Some wine tonight? My place after your shift?

Harry picked up a quill with a sigh, and scratched out a reply, claiming he was quite tired due to extra shifts lately. Maybe in a few days. He reattached the scroll to the eagle owl's leg, and sent it back to Draco.

Ron was watching him from the other side of the table, sipping a beer. His plate was empty. "Is that Malfoy's owl?"

Harry took another bite of his sandwich, not really feeling that hungry but needing time to decide how to reply. "Um, yes. You know we've been seeing each other, right?"

Rolling his eyes, Ron let out a scoff. "The whole world knows. Your first dates were covered by all the papers. But they haven't reported much for a while. Is it still going on?"

Hmmmm.... good question. Harry shrugged a shoulder. "It's a bit different dating men instead of women, I think. Not that I'm that experienced with either."

"Different how?"

It was hard to put into words what he'd struggling to figure out himself. "Well, I think men are more comfortable having a casual relationship. They don't push for it to be more serious."

Ron chuckled, picking at the paper label of his beer. "Are you expecting him to propose or something?"

Harry let out a frustrated huff. "No, no, it's too soon for anything like that. I guess I'm not sure what he wants. Maybe it's just physical for him."

"Well, it's probably best you enjoy it while it lasts then. Get him out of your system. I think you've been a bit hooked on him since Hogwarts."

Harry was surprised at the remark, but tried not to show it. Ron thought Harry liked Draco back then? Had that been part of it?

There was no denying he had been attracted to Cho, and then to Ginny. Had liked kissing them, being with them. But Draco had always been on his radar. How often did he glance his way during meals or in classes? Fly against each other in games? Spy on his movements in the hallways? Had part of that been an attraction that he hadn't been self aware enough to understand?

He could recall thinking that those girls had been very pretty, and seeking out ways to be alone with them. He really couldn't remember having similar thoughts about Draco until the castle. Seeing him lying on a blanket in the sun after they had eaten, looking relaxed. He could remember noticing his skin, his eyes, his hair. Feeling the urge to touch him. It was mixed up with talking, and doing those silly things together, like skipping rocks. Hearing Draco laughing with him, instead of at him.

"Harry?"

The voice jarred him out of his thoughts, to find Ron giving him a bemused look. "Sorry, just feeling a bit confused about it all."

Ron shrugged. "Well, feel free to talk about anything. Ever since Charlie came out to the family a few years ago, I'm used to hearing about things like that."

"Thanks," Harry said, and meant it. Although strangers had sometimes shouted unkind things at him, his friends and co-workers had seemed unfazed when articles about dating Draco had first appeared. It relieved him of the need to come out more directly with them, in a way. It wasn't treated as a big deal by most people.

He doubted Ron would be much help here though. Should he seek out some gay or bi men? Charlie? Talk it out with them?

Sighing, Harry finished his drink. "I think I'll just go home. Feeling a bit tired."

...

Two days later, Draco was at the Ministry, sitting on the edge of the fountain in the main hall. He stood up as Harry was walking towards the floos, his normal route after his shifts.