Chapter 4: Keemia Marko, One Night Sand

Days after his fight with Sandgirl, Peter discovers Keemia at Horizon High. Can he see what she's up to without revealing his identity as Spider-Man?

Peter stretched in his chair as his computer powered down. It seemed like the time he had in his lab was the only time he could have to himself lately. Not that he was necessarily complaining. It was only one year ago that Peter was lamenting the possibility of being a virgin until college or even later. Only in his wildest fantasies could he imagine being where he is today. Attending Horizon High, being sex friends with two of the most beautiful girls he's ever seen, and that's not counting the sexual rendezvous he has with his ex every once in a while.

Life wasn't all chasing tail and science projects, as much as he wanted it to be. Paying to attend Horizon High always seemed to end in a photo finish when it came to making his tuition payments on time. Doctor Octavius had no problem handing out Peter a failing grade on every assignment. Harry's hatred for Spider-Man kept growing by the day. Supervillains also kept popping out from everywhere it seemed. And now Max Modell's top experiment, the V-252, was bonded to him. He knew he had to return it, but it just felt great. It enhanced his strength and even made its own webbing. Useful.

Peter got up and slung his backpack over his shoulder. He left his lab and was walking down the hallway when he heard a whirring sound. It sounded like one of the ionizing machines from the lab, but no one's supposed to be in there at this hour. Peter approached the door and froze. Spider-sense.

'Not good,' he thought. 'Whatever's in there, gotta be careful.' Peter pushed the button to open the door and gasped. In the room was someone he never thought he'd see again. A girl about his age with tan skin and black hair. Her beanie helped her bangs cover one of her eyes. Peter recognized her blue jacket and black pants. A few nights ago he watched as they turned into sand tendrils as he battled Sand Girl in Hammerhead's estate.

"Kee-I mean, who are you? Because, clearly, we've never met before...person I've never met before," he stammered.

Keemia stared at him like a deer in headlights. "I was just checking out the lab equipment."

"How did you even get in here? Only students are allowed-" Peter was interrupted by the appearance of Max Modell.

"Peter," he said. "What's going on here?"

Peter turned to face Max. "Hey, Max. It's nothing. I was just about to go home with my friend here," he said, motioning to Keemia.

"Yeah," she said. "We were just leaving."

"Hold that thought. I need a quick word with Peter," Max said. He took Peter aside and whispered, "I understand trying to impress girls by showing them our equipment, but next time makes sure they check in at the front desk."

Peter took a moment to process what Max had told him. What luck. He made up an excuse for him. Cool.

"Don't worry, Max," Peter said. "This was a one-time thing. Won't happen again."

"Glad to hear it," Max replied. "Now if you could be a gentleman and escort your lady friend while I help Otto find some of the gene cleansers he seems to be missing."

***

Peter and Keemia made it outside the school without incident. With her hands in her pockets, Keemia shrugged.

"Hey," she started. "Thanks for the save."

"No problem," he said. "Name's Peter by the way."

She answered without looking at him. "Keemia."