Mr. Bear

It could still remember the first time it received life. Black beady eyes given by its creator registered its first image, a chubby face with cornrows and a missing tooth, smiling widely at it in the midst of 'happy birthdays' and clapping. It was held tight to her childish chest, feeling the steady heartbeat it drummed, syncing its soul to it.

She patted its soft fluffy brown head, whispering promises of eternal friendship. But it knew better. For although it had only been animated not too long ago, it could tell that this would only be a capricious companionship until it had served its purpose.

She whispered again in its ear once they had settled into her princess canopy bed, it being squished tightly to her side. She had things to share in the days to come, secrets most of all.

Her first came on a rainy day in July. She saw her other brother last year. He came home with a lady with scary make up, a little boy a little over her age. Mummy wasn't happy to see them. She heard her mom beg for the first time, something that couldn't have fit her arrogant face that was once warm and beautiful when money had been a thing of myths and fairy tales. He needed to go, Daddy would never understand. And so, she said a silent goodbye to the only sibling she ever had from the kitchen that adjoined with the living room.

Her next was on a hot night in August when she had finally remembered to remove it from the temporary home of the closet she had placed it in. Daddy had the money he told Mummy he didn't have. She had stood in his office and watched him hide it in a safe hidden in the middle of the floor, along with the money he had been graciously given his share of the funds he had opened for the 'Future Leaders Foundation'.

He didn't try to hide it from her, shamelessly stacking his false treasures while promising she would understand when she grew older. Money answereth all things after all. The next day, a new pretty dress was hung in her walk-in closet, a reward for her silence. Now, all she could see when looking at it was the faces of the hopeful children who had been promised something better at the charity event her father had spoken at. Never again did she try to tag along when he paid those children a visit.

She did have more secrets to share, of the taunts of the children from school, branding her as an Omo Ole, the real reason she had come home with a bruise on her forehead since the silly bully had struggled when she had held her by the hair. But then, she could never tell her mother. No Adebanjo must ever show their true colours to the world. Pretence was key to becoming the envy of all.

She confided in her coffee coloured bear in an effort to air out her grievances to the seemingly lifeless medium. And it did its duty well, listening, until listening wasn't enough. Then it spoke back, for the first and only time.

"The money caused this. The money has to go."

Its message had been well received by the nine year old, shocked and pleasantly surprised by its partaking in their usual one sided conversation.

Soon, the Adebanjo couple came home that night to meet the sight of the fire in the compound fueled by all the money in Daddy's safe. And their little girl sat in front of the roaring flames, watching it in fascination as it devoured the valued print.

And as it watched the money burn, its eyes lost life, registering little Adebanjo's satisfaction. Its work had been completed.