ten

Three weeks later, I found myself back up on the cliff Dean and I had gone to the first night we met. This time, however, it was during the day. He had planned to see the sunset, but we just made a day out of it. He borrowed one of Elijah's cars, and we packed a picnic, spending the majority of the day on the cliff, just the two of us.

We had just finished most of the food we had packed, and were sitting on a blanket next to the car.

"What are you most afraid of?" I asked, changing the subject.

Dean snorted, offering me a half smirk. "I'm not afraid of anything."

"I call bullshit." I laughed, and he smiled.

"I'm not." I didn't answer, just shook my head, smiling. He moved closer to me on the blanket, poking me. "What about you?"

"Heights," I shrugged. He already knew about my fear of heights.

"Really?" he pretended to gasp, laughing when I glared at him. "Are you afraid of the dark?"

"No," I almost scoffed.

"You should be." his voice was that of a teenager telling a ghost story to a group of teens huddled around a campfire. He smiled.

"Why, because there's monsters?" I laughed, collecting my hair and tying it into a ponytail.

"Would you believe me if I said there were?"

"No." I had stopped laughing, but was still smiling. I stood up from the ground, stretching.

"And why not?"

"I don't believe in that stuff," I shrugged, walking back to the car. He stood up, following me. Instead of opening the door, I jumped over it, since the top of the car was down.

"Really?"

"Yep."

Dean nodded slowly. "Good to know." He opened the door, and I moved over, giving him space to sit.

"Do you?"

"Do I what?"

"Believe in that kind of stuff," I laughed, leaning into him. "Monsters and ghosts and demons."

He hesitated, which made me pull away from him to see his face. He smiled when his eyes met mine. "No, I don't."

--

"Not even death?" Three hours later, the sun was beginning to go down, and I was still trying to find something Dean was afraid of.

"No," he was absentmindedly playing with a lighter, flicking it open and closed, staring at the sun as it began to fall below the horizon. He was sitting in the backseat of the car, and I had my head in his lap, my feet dangling out of where the window would be if the top of the car was up. "Well, I guess it depends."

"On what?"

"Why I'm dying."

"Care to elaborate?"

"If I was dying for something I love, or care about a lot- Elijah, my dad, Sammy, you- Then I don't think I'd mind it. If I went out meaning something to someone, and I mean really, truly, meaning something, then I'd accept it. I want to be remembered."

"So you want to go out a hero?"

He nodded, closing the lighter. He stared at it for a moment, opened it, and looked back at the setting sun.