Chapter Five

The council session had ended in an imbroglio. Nothing had been decided or resolved upon. The search had turned up with naught. Bijjaladeva was still missing. He seemed to be well-hidden. A massive reward had been announced for his capture. His capture was imperative for the safety and security of Mahishmati.

The council members trooped out of the court in groups of threes and fours, gossiping and discussing animatedly among themselves. Mahendra and Devasena had waited for them to disperse before they made a move to their respective quarters.

Mahendra offered the crook of his arm to his mother, Devasena, as he personally escorted her back to her chamber. For a while, neither of the two spoke. Each had their own thoughts to occupy them. However, it was Devasena who broke the silence first.

"Now we have some time to ourselves, son. What did you want to ask me before the coronation?"

It did not register immediately in Mahendra's mind that his mother was asking him something. His eyes appeared blank and uncomprehending. Devasena repeated her question.

"I wanted to know what you wanted to ask me after the coronation?"

"Oh that...."

The words were stuck like a lump in his throat. Devasena watched him with anticipation in her eyes.

"How do you like Avantika, mother? Are still mad at her?"

"You wanted to ask just that?" Devasena asked surprised. She continued, "Yes, I was disappointed with her today. But she is a good girl. Her intentions were pure and sincere. And in hindsight; though her suspicions were misplaced, she did figure out there was something wrong underfoot. She has a sharp intellect."

"Whew! I am so relieved you think that about her", Mahendra exclaimed.

"My chamber is here. Did you want to talk about anything else?" Devasena reiterated.

Mahendra opened his mouth wide, before he quickly shut it, thinking something else.

"Have a good night's sleep, mother. We'll talk about it tomorrow morning. I want to introduce somebody who means the world to me to you."

"I'll be waiting, son, though I believe I can guess who it is", Devasena smilingly replied

Mahendra shyly bent down his head and ran his fingers through his hair. He had been tremendously relieved after talking to his mother. He no longer dreaded her reaction to his revelation.

But he had not yet spoken to Avantika after that misunderstanding after the coronation. He hastened towards her chamber. The guards who were manning that section of the palace quickly masked their looks of surprise and shock.

All the lights of the room had been extinguished. The blanket had already been pulled over Avantika's head. Only her toes were visible outside the blanket. The guard had been about to announce and alert about Mahendra's arrival when Mahendra clapped a hand over his mouth and hushed him, "It will not be necessary. You may leave now."

He removed his sandals and sat down beside her.

"Avantika, are you sleeping?" His voice was soft and gentle. The sheets rustled a bit before the chamber was silent once again. Even her toes had been withdrawn into her blanket.

"You're hiding from me, aren't you?" He remarked half-jokingly to himself as he edged closer to the fabric that hid her sleeping form from his intense gaze. He pressed his bosom against it till he could feel the deep breaths of air she took from within the blanket.

"I am so near you. There is just this thin wisp of cloth separating you and me. But still it feels like we are so far off. I should have stood beside you come what may. You trusted me. But what did I do? I stood in judgement over you and deemed you wrong before everyone. The Mahendra who secretly married you in the forest would have believed you in everything. He would have followed you to the end of this world. But this Mahendra needs evidence, even from you. Maybe I don't deserve you. I am sorry."

Tears started streaming down Avantika's cheeks from within the blanket. Her chest started heaving up and down. The door of the chamber closed behind gently. Avantika flung the blanket covering her aside. But Mahendra had left before she could say anything.

Unmindful of everything, she darted behind him. She asked the guards patrolling outside in a breathless accent, "Which way did his Majesty go?"

The guard pointed his finger in the direction Mahendra had taken. She sprinted as though her very life depended on it. His back swam into her view. Her pace doubled as she literally ran into him and hugged Mahendra from behind. She shed tears of happiness as she cried, "Don't ever leave me like that. It felt like the end of the world for me. This will not be our last fight or quarrel in all the years that we have together. Whatever happens, you will fight for me. For us. You will not give us up. And that is an order, not a request. Mind you."

"Alright. I give you my word. And my word is law", he quipped as the corners of his mouth puckered into a beautiful, heartfelt smile.