Chapter Four

Bijjaladeva, the father of the erstwhile king, Bhallaladeva, chaffed and struggled against the iron manacles that bound his hands. Broken and hoarse mutterings like "Life is unfair", "You'll all pay", "What goes up, comes down", "I'll wring your necks" came at regular intervals out of his foul mouth as he occasionally spat aside and ground his teeth.

One of the guards who sat in watch over him lost his cool. He lifted him off the ground by the cuff of his silken shirt and shook him.

"If you don't shut your mouth..."

The other guards freed Bijjaladeva from his grasp, "Cool down, friend. I know he is trying and obnoxious. But there will be a public trial after the coronation."

He dropped Bijjaladeva in an unceremonious heap on the ground. He pounded his fists on the hard ground as he warned, "If I hear one more croak or squeak..."

Bijjaladeva cowered as the man came nearer and whispered in his ears, "You will have your revenge, but not now. We will help you. In return, you must help us."

"Psst...Athikay, the old man is wanted for some coronation rituals", a soldier said running up to the man who continued glaring at the aged patriarch who beheld him with a stunned silence.

"Here. Hold this platter with the crown straight, old fool", the soldier who was leading Bijjaladeva prodded him ahead with his spear.

"Why is he here now?" Mahendra Baahubali asked. The distaste and hatred in his voice and face were very evident.

"That's the protocol, I gather, son", Devasena icily replied.

Sanga, Mahendra's foster-mother, her face brimming with smiles and tears of happiness, stepped ahead with a plate of arati. She waved the auspicious lamp around his face three times before she applied the victory tilak on his forehead and sprinkled turmeric-stained rice grains over him. Mahendra grinned, catching Avantika's eye with a playful wink sideways. She blushed and hung her head down.

None of this had missed Devasena's razor-sharp observation. She glanced back and forth between her son and Avantika before her eyes settled down on Avantika with an unreadable expression.

Realizing that the people were waiting, she broke from her reverie. She picked the crown from the platter held by Bijjaladeva. She ignored his dirty expression as he shrunk away from her and tried to keep the crown away from her grasp. She placed it gently on her son's head. Her face beamed with pride as the fulfilment of this one moment washed over her.

Loud shouts and cheers of "Long live the King" Mahendra Baahubali ki Jai" spontaneously errupted from the crowd.

Kattappa indicated with a quiet nod to the soldier to lead away Bijjaladeva, who stood scowling and fulminating in the background, from there.

"All army divisions step forward", Kattappa called out in a loud voice.

Division after division marched to the front and saluted their new sovereign on bended knees.

"Noble houses of Mahishmati will now pay tributes to the new King", Kattappa declared.

All the prominent families and nobles of Mahishmati queued up with gifts and tributes that they had brought for their new sovereign.

Mahendra acknowledged them with a nod and placed his palm over each of the gifts. Devasena stood beside him. Sanga and Avantika were occupied in overseeing the maids who were keeping all the gifts aside carefully. Mahendra cleared his throat, "There is something I wanted to tell you since this morning."

Devasena's eyes looked tired and exhausted, "The people are awaiting your first public address, Mahendra. After that, we have the public trial of Bijjaladeva for his crimes against the people of Mahishmati
Can we talk about whatever you wanted to discuss with me later?"