Chapter Three

The crowds outside the palace were celebrating like never before. It was a festival that had come twenty-five years late. What went before was an utter nightmare. They shuddered even now to think about the atrocities of King Bhallaladeva's regime. Everyone felt as though they were a part of this momentous occasion.

All the prominent noble houses had accepted the suzerainty of Mahendra Baahubali. There were a couple of disgruntled and discordant noises. But Kattappa, the ageing Commander-in-Chief of Mahendra Baahubali's army, with the wisdom of more than half-a-century spent fighting by the side of the royals of Mahishmati, had done everything possible to ensure that the accession of power was smooth after the power vacuum left behind by Emperor Bhallaladeva's death. 

"You can have this scroll with the program itinerary and your first public address to your people along with you, Mahendra", said Kattapa, rattling off how the ceremony would proceed, who would be playing what role, and who would be doing what on the upraised podium, and what would be particularly expected of him.

Mahendra grinned, "You can have the scroll, Thatha. Never been a big fan of reading. So, even if I had it, I would not know what to do with it."

Kattappa sighed, "You have a lot of learning to do. Alright. I'll read out everything for you. Listen carefully. I want you to commit everything to your memory. Anyways, I'll be by your side even if something goes sideways."

"Then...that's all that matters, hey... Thatha", Mahendra said, trying to put Kattappa at ease.

"This is your first speech, Mahendra. I want everything to be perfect", Kattappa said, patting Mahendra's head. "I promised your mother. I don't want to let her down at least this time round.  It takes just a tiny slip for people to start pointing fingers." 

Mahendra was nodding his head affably when his jaws dropped at the sight of the beautiful apparition descending the steps. As he stared up with unblinking eyes, Kattappa snapped his fingers in front of his eyes to break him out of his daze.

"What?" Mahendra retorted as he sheepishly bent down his head and withdrew his eyes from Avantika.

"You were paying attention to what I saying, I suppose", said Kattappa, playfully pulling his legs.

"Of course, Thatha. Every single word of it."

"I can see that. Does your mother know?"

Mahendra shyly shook his head, "I did not get the opportunity to discuss this err...matter with her. Will you help us, Thatha?"

"Not you too...", Kattappa drawled. "I'll give you ten minutes. The ceremony will start in twelve."

Avantika adjusted her veil and walked in hesitant steps, looking towards the left and right, before she came and stood beside Mahendra.

"Beautiful!" The word was out of his mouth before he realized both of them were in full public glare. She fought to keep down the deep red blush mounting up her cheeks. He looked away for a moment to give her time to compose herself.

Clearing her throat, she said, "Hey, you look nice. You look a King, every inch."

"I wish I felt like one too. I feel entirely unprepared. Thatha has been fussing about my first public address. He says it's important to make a good first impression."

Avantika agreed, "And he's right too. Nothing beats a good first impression."

"Are you on my side or his? I thought you were on mine", Mahendra said with a cute pout on his lips.

"You're such a big child, aren't you?"
Avantika broke out into open-hearted peals of laughter. Her whole frame convulsed and shook, as her eyes filled with tears of happiness.

"Good to see you laugh like this, Avan. Somebody actually made you laugh. I thought that surly expression as though you had swallowed something unpleasant was going to permanently stick to you."

Avantika looked behind to see Aditya Varma, the younger son of their late rebel leader, Jaya Varma, with a lop-sided grin on his face.

She hugged him, "When did you get back? You missed all the action."

"My bad! Brother and I rode here as though the guards of hell were behind us, but still ended up late. However, we're in time for the festivities and the drinks are excellent, of course. The maids of the palace are pretty diligent, I must say", Aditya replied, pointing to the half-empty glass of wine in his hand.

He winked at the maid who had served him drinks before he turned back towards Avantika with a friendly smile.

"That was quick! She was helping me dress just a short while ago. Now, she's here. She kind of creeps me out with the way she stares at me and looks down upon her nose as though I'm a country bumpkin", observed Avantika, clapping a palm over her face and talking in hushed tones to her fellow compatriot.

Mahendra was looking at the friendly way in which both Avantika and Aditya bantered back and forth with narrowed eyes. This reminded Avantika that she had not introduced the two men who stood in front of her to each other. Steam was escaping out of Mahendra's ears. She could see that somebody was really, really jealous.

"This is Aditya Varma, the younger son of our late rebel leader, Jaya Varma, and your cousin." After a small pause, she added with a slight smile dancing upon her lips, "And, practically like a brother to me."

Mahendra relaxed gently from the rigid stance he had adopted, "Oh... brother!"

"Welcome to Mahishmati, Cousin Aditya. I hope you find your stay comfortable. Please let me know if you find anything lacking."

"Of course, I do." Aditya said in a wry tone.

"What?" Mahendra said, a bit confused about how to respond.

"Quit the formalities and give your long- lost cousin-brother a hug."

Aditya pulled Mahendra into an affable, bear hug. Mahendra gently eased into his cousin's playfulness.

Kattappa barged in upon this happy scene of family reunion and stood hovering about the sidelines. Mahendra looked with upraised eyebrows, "I thought you said I had ten minutes, Thatha."

"Yes, but the Rajamata wants to speak to you before the coronation begins. So..."

Kattappa led him directly to where Devasena was seated. Mahendra dropped on his feet and sought her blessings.

"Rise, son. Come and sit with me for a few moments", she said.

Mahendra sat down beside her without another word. Devasena laid her palm over his.

"What do you see in front of you, son?"

"I see a sea of upraised faces looking at me with absolute adoration and hero worship."

"How does it feel?"

"Unnerving! Sometimes, I think to myself what if I give up everything and go somewhere no one knows me."

The trumpets started blowing and drums started beating. Devasena rose up. Not a single muscle in her face moved. She walked a step ahead. Mahendra followed just one step behind. She waved to the people with her right hand while she held her son with the other.

"All this was your father's... before he gave it all up for my sake. Now, it is yours. I don't want you to give it up for anything or anyone...And this is what your dead father would want for you. Understood."

Mahendra nodded his head in acquiescence. They stood at the bottom of the podium. Kattappa followed behind with his sword unsheathed. Mahendra looked towards where Avantika stood. He gestured her to come and stand beside him. She stood reluctant and undecided.

"Come", Mahendra's voice boomed. In a low voice audible only to her, Devasena and Kattappa, he said, "Or I'm not going through with this."

Avantika did not protest. She silently came and stood beside him. Loud cheers and wild claps erupted from the audience as they started ascending the steps, one by one.  Together!