Chapter Nine

The security for the palace had been tightened. Mahendra and Avantika waited in the sidelines for Kattappa to finish giving his instructions and rallying his soldiers.

"Increase the number of guards on patrol duty. I don't want any more slip-ups."

The guards fumbled and flustered as they bowed to the ground to let Mahendra, Avantika and Kattappa pass by.

"Let's go Mahendra. Everyone is waiting for us in the Rajamata's chamber."

They walked in unbroken silence. Kattappa held the door of the chamber for both Mahendra and Avantika. Mahendra went in first. Avantika was about to follow him, when Kattappa cleared his throat. "You saved the day. Thank you. It was my duty to ensure that nothing went wrong but..."

Avantika held Kattappa's hand in hers as she said, "No, don't blame yourself for everything. This is definitely not your fault."

Devasena extended her arms wide to her son and Avantika. "I'm so relieved. Veera and Aditya told me everything just now. How are we going to save the hostages?"

Kattappa said, "If you will give me the permission, I will ride out with an army regiment, Rajamata. It's my fault. I never guessed Athikay was doing all this right beneath my nose."

"Please forgive my folly for interrupting. We will be visible from afar to Athikay and his men. If they see the army approaching, they will start killing all the hostages indiscriminately. It will also give a chance to all of them to escape through the river route." A strangled cry escaped Shivani at the imagined horrors this thought invoked in her mind.

"I have known Athikay since my days as a spy and assassin. He is as slippery as an eel. We used to report directly to Prince Bhadra. He got his dirty work executed using us. At ordinary times, he served as a common soldier in Kattappa's regiment as a cover. His behavior in the regiment used to be impeccable. So I don't blame Kattappa for not seeing through him. Moreover, I suspect that there is someone else who is pulling the strings behind Athikay. We will never know who it is if we let those bastards escape." Shivani wetted her lips and rested her clenched hands on her lap as she waited with bated breath for the others to respond to her arguments.

"In that case, we must have our men near the river too to plug off that escape route", said Veera.

"A night or early morning attack when the visibility is not good might do the trick", Aditya added.

Shivani shook her head. "A night attack won't work. The entire terrain is rigged with deadly traps. The army will not be able to stick to the path and follow the marks I made. More than half the soldiers will be dead by the time they make it to the hideout and all the hostages too."

Avantika wrung her hands in despair. "They want me. I will offer myself up in return for the hostages. I can't think about myself when the lives of so many are at stake."

"Don't you dare!" Mahendra raised a warning finger up against her lips. His voice rumbled deep within his chest. He pinched the spot between his brows with his thumb and index finger. "Wait! What happened to the clothes of those brigands?"

"Still on them I should assume. Nobody here had the time to give them a dress change. But why are you asking?" Aditya's ears perked up.

"I suggest we have a dress change in that case, Aditya." Mahendra's eyes danced with glee and merriment.

"Nice costumes by the way. The Savaran ones. I especially love that snake image on the mask." Veera confessed latching on to Mahendra's idea.

"Rajamata, did you understand anything? What these youngsters talk is beyond my understanding and comprehension."