six

🎈👠 chapter six . . .

this was the calm before the storm . . .

ayan knew all too well that things weren't gonna go great for simone and rishabh now that simran had set her mind to it.

honestly, he didn't want to be at the brunt of her anger either. he'd like to save his skin, which was part of the reason why he was going along with everything that simran planned. now that he had a lot of time during the flight to think about it, he felt he was semi-okay with whatever simran cooked up as long as he wasn't involved. 

to be honest, what simone did was wrong. one, she'd broken the sacred girl-code and gotten together with her best friend's long time ex-boyfriend. two, she was going behind simran's back and broke contact with her as her relationship with rishabh got stronger. three, she decided to be petty and sent simran an invitation to her wedding through the mail. 

maybe (just maybe), ayan felt that simran wouldn't have been this mad about it if simone hadn't cut her off just to be with rishabh. maybe. he wouldn't really count on that. ayan wasn't gonna jump into any conclusions based on the three-ish days that he'd known her.

back to the point that he had some time to think during his flight to here, that turbulence that they'd faced had rattled ayan. he decided that he'd call his maa as soon as they got to the hotel and talk to her—and maybe even ask her about how mrs verma's kitty party went. it was the small things that made you think. he'd left in a hurry, frustrated as well, and hadn't talked to his maa well.

other than that, as much as he hated admitting it, ayan had an aversion to heights. he was a very weary flyer. 

"everything's fine, maa. it was just a small turbulence." ayan assured his mother. 

her voice was touched with concern, and she asked him if he'd eaten.

"we already had dinner. the room service was here." he answered, pacing the room idly as he talked. 

"aacha, take care of yourself, ayan beta." his mother offered with a sigh.

"take care, maa. goodnight." he smiled. granted that one of his many reasons to agree to come to this wedding with simran was to take a breather from his mother's constant nagging for a while, but talking to her did make him feel better than he expected.

"goodnight." his mother replied, and he could almost feel the smile in her voice.

another thing that ayan hated admitting about himself was that he was a generally homesick person, and he rarely stayed away from the comfort of his house. but he really did need a break, and now he was here. and maybe he was a tiny bit of a mommy's boy. just a bit, okay? don't hold that against him.

as ayan cut the call, simran came out of the bathroom in her sleep shorts and a bright pink t-shirt. she'd taken her sweet time with her night-time skincare routine—not that he was complaining.