Chapter 11: 'Neighbors'

3rd Person POV:

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday had gone by like a flash. Luz couldn't even remember what she did the past 3 days, it seemed to be wiped from her memory. Nobody really paid attention to Luz the whole week, probably because they didn't recognize her. Luz couldn't be happier that Friday was here though, she could finally get away from the hell hole that was called school. Luz had made plans to go to the fair with her friends since it was in town, she was excited to go. Luz had been to the fair before, but never with friends. She couldn't wait to pull Amity on all the big rides with her and maybe even play some games and win something.

Currently, Luz was walking to her 7th period which was P.E. She had said goodbye to Amity and said to rest easy on her ankle. Amity had gone to the doctor on Wednesday and they had put on a brace on her foot. They told her she could walk around in it, just that she should be careful and make sure not to twist it. Amity couldn't play softball until she got it off, so she was kind of bummed about that; she would still go to practices and stuff because she is the captain. As Luz walked, people in the halls crowded around. She held her head down low and continued to swerve through them all. When she finally made it to the gym, she went into the locker room to change into her workout clothes. Since today was Friday, they would usually just play soccer or something like that. Luz did use to play when she was around 12, so she was kind of good.

She had changed and made her way to the gym floor. They had divided into teams and began to play. The class period had gone on like normal, people had fun and joked around. Even though Luz didn't really have any friends in that class, she still enjoyed it. The bell had rung, Luz's team had lost by 1. She went back to change in the locker room, putting the combination in her locker and taking out her backpack. She picked out the clothes she had on during the day and took it out. She changed quickly, wanting to get out as soon as possible. She had gone out of the locker room and into the gym doors to see the outside view. When she was about to make it out though, she was stopped by the sound of her name being called out. "Hey, Luz," She heard.

Luz turned around to see the sight of Willow running up to her. Luz smiled at her, "Oh, hey Willow!" She said with a happy tone. Willow returned the smile, "Hey, how have you been?" Willow asked as they started walking. Luz shrugged her shoulders, "Eh, I can't complain. Nobody seems to recognize me," Luz said, looking around her to see all the unfamiliar faces of her classmates. "Well that's good, I'm glad you're ok," Willow said, patting Luz's shoulder. "Are you coming to the fair with us tomorrow?" Luz asked, not sure if Boscha invited her or not. "Yeah I am, but I might be there a little later since my dad's need help with something," Willow explained.

Luz's gave her an excited smile, the 2 of them hadn't really hung out with each other since the mall day. There was also Monday...but neither of them really wanted to talk about it. "Well, I got to go to work today, but I'll see you tomorrow," Luz said, waving to Willow as she started walking off. Willow waved back at her, "Alright, see you then," Willow said, walking off her own way as well. Even though she and Willow didn't really talk much, they were still the best of friends. Luz trusted her with her secrets and felt like Willow wouldn't abandon her as other people do. 

Luz had put on music in her headphones as she walked back home. The wind had slowed down a bit, so it was a little warmer than most days. She hummed and tapped her finger to the beat,  looking all around her. She said hello to people walking down the streets or on their porches, she wanted to be nice. Luz had always enjoyed her walks home after a long day at school, it reminded her that she wasn't trapped in that cage of education. When Luz saw the front porch of her house, she smiled and had a little skip to her walk.

Luz noticed something was different though. She heard the barking of a dog from across the street. As far as she knew, there weren't any people with dogs in her neighborhood. Luz looked over and in her view, she could see a car with a moving trailer attached to the back of it. A tiny black dog was seen jumping around in the yard. He seemed to have something on his head, but Luz wasn't close enough to see it. Luz laughed when the dog fell over on his back from standing on his hind legs. "King! Stop being a doofus and help," She heard another voice say as Luz walked on her porch.