CHAPTER 3: CHRISTMAS DEAL

Start from the beginning

I think he's ready, so I finish with, "Yes, I know. See you tomorrow, and please no trap! Love you."

I end up the call on a 'hook him up' from both of my friends, and I come back to Aden's desk in two steps – literally, because his office is that small, although he already has a private office, which isn't my case, as the economy section is a bigger part of the newspaper than my decoration articles. I can almost hear Amy's voice telling me that I would have my own office at ID Decor Magazine, but actually, I don't know. Maybe I could have a dull storage room, or a wide fancy office, yet being alone or with malicious colleagues. However, I can't think about this now. I have another priority.

Thus after one last long bothered look at my phone, I put it away and let out a big sigh. "I'm sorry..."

"No, it's okay." Aden smiles, and I guess I'll have to throw a line.

"Family... I guess it's one of the joys of the holidays." I force a soft embarrassed laugh, and I don't even have to fake the warm rushing on my cheeks under Aden's attentive gaze.

"Is there a problem?"

"No, no, not really... It's just the eternal same discussion with my family, but I don't wanna bother you with it..." I shake my head, avoiding his gaze more because of the way it unsettles me than for my actress performance. 

My heart is starting to pick up its pace as I know this is THE moment, and my last chance is inching closer. "But it's maybe one of the only things that I don't like about Christmas!"

"What is it? I mean, it could help me for the Christmas spirit." His brown eyes twinkle at me with a curious glint, and I hide my grin and the jump of my heart with a chuckle.

"Um, I don't know... I don't think it happens to other people, but my family likes to pester me to find a boyfriend, and actually, they even like to set me dates with almost every male in the area," I explain, repeating the words I've prepared and learned carefully, trying to put the right inflection between frustration, annoyance, and a dash of embarrassment. "That's why my mom was calling me: to ask me for the hundredth time if I was coming alone and to talk to me about some 'acquaintance' that would be 'perfect' for me." I roll my eyes, running my fingers through my jet-black hair in a gesture that I hope looks slightly sexy, though, at this point, my nervousness makes it hard to tell. "That's really the thing that will spoil my week," I add with a heavy sigh.

"Have you tried explaining them?" Aden asks, and the line forming between his furrowed eyebrows lets me know he sincerely wants to help. I've told you he's a sweetheart!

"Yes, I have, but they don't understand. They think they're helping me, and they will certainly never change their mind until I bring someone home."

Now the most important part that I have to put smoothly...

"Maybe I should just bring a fake boyfriend to spend peaceful holidays!" I laugh lightly, shaking my head, but quickly stopping to check his reaction.

However, the thing is he has no reaction. His eyebrows are still pulled together in reflection and apparently compassion for me, yet there is nothing more except the flicker of a quick amused smile.

I don't try to fill the silence as I pray the idea will light up in his beautiful head, and my heart is thudding faster with each second as the slightest sound of a breath makes me jump in hope. Yet nothing comes.

I should have expected it, but my heart still drops slowly until it tumbles completely when Aden grabs a paper again. He's already moving back to the article. This is my last shot. This isn't how my plan has been supposed to go, but fortunately, I have a plan B.