As the World Caves In

Start from the beginning

"You know we won't be back here again. Are you positive you want to come?" Hermione asked.

"I know, love. And I want to come. No- I need to. I owe you three everything. Ron for caring about me. Harry for protecting me. And you, for loving me unconditionally."

Hermione blushed, stroking Ellie's cheek with her thumb.

"I'm just saying, it could be dangerous. I don't want you getting hurt."

Hermione chuckled, bringing her hand out from Hermione's hair. She held up her hand, flaunting the gold ring on her finger.

"A protection ring. Protects me from severe harm. And in some cases, death."

Hermione examined the ring closely, seeming to be fascinated by its magical properties hidden within the ordinary metal.

"That explains it, then. Everything. Why you didn't die... multiple times," Hermione gasped. "But that doesn't explain why you got hurt in that bathroom with Draco."

"I didn't have it on. Figured I'd rather feel physical pain than heartbreak," Ellie said simply.

"Oh, Ellie..." Hermione said in an apologetic tone.

"It's okay, really. I guess it lets me cheat a little bit," Ellie said with a smile.

Hermione's face grew serious once more.

"My love... you know it's going to be dangerous. And we might possibly die-"

"I know what I'm getting myself into," Ellie interrupted.

"No, no. That's not what I'm saying. I just..." Hermione paused, seeming to be held back by a hint of nervousness.

"What is it, love?" Ellie asked gently.

"You know I hate it when people say things they wouldn't say if they knew death approached them..." Hermione started.

Ellie raised an eyebrow, wondering what Hermione was implying.

"Well... in case things go horribly wrong, I just want to tell you something important. Right here. Right now. While things are somewhat normal." Hermione paused for a moment.

Hermione gazed deeply into Ellie's eyes, full of love. Though she always admired the Hufflepuff's beauty, she hadn't taken much time in seeing how she had grown. It baffled her how a girl she had crushed on just three years ago was now her girlfriend. From the more prominent jawline to the pronounced curves, there was one thing that had stayed the same within Ellie. Though Hermione had always thought Ellie was the most beautiful being she had ever seen, it was her heart that she fell in love with. It was the deep sense of compassion, the endless love, and the selfless acts of bravery that Hermione had fallen in love with, and no amount of attractiveness could ever top what Ellie had within her.

"When everything blows over... when Voldemort is gone, I mean. I'd want to spend the rest of my life with you. If that's okay," Hermione announced softly with a hopeful expression.

The corners of Ellie's mouth curled into a wide smile.

"Are you asking me to marry you?" Ellie teased, watching as her girlfriend carried a slightly embarrassed expression.

"I d-don't mean it like that. N-not officially, at least," Hermione stuttered, her cheeks growing red.

"When you do... officially... the answer is yes. A million times yes," Ellie interrupted.

"I-I know we're young. And I d-don't want to f-force you to do anything you don't want to. I just wanted to let you know. J-Just in case anything happens, you know my intentions," Hermione reasoned, flustered from what she had just admitted.

"Easy, my love," Ellie giggled, brushing over Hermione's lips with her thumb.

She parted them slightly, connecting her lips. The lovers kissed once more, now with a more fiery passion. Hermione had seemed to calm down, too engrossed in their locked lips. After a few moments, Ellie broke away to speak.

"We can talk about our future another time. We need to live in the present, love. Though Ellie Granger has a nice ring to it, don't you think?" Ellie said casually, her lips toying into a smile.

Hermione giggled, her cheeks painted a soft shade of pink. She brought Ellie in for another kiss, more passionate than before. Their passion soared around the couple, surrounding them with an unbreakable kind of love. Through everything they had encountered, time after time, their love proved to conquer all.

It was truly peaceful for the first time that year. The calm before the storm.

To be continued in the next book...