Ginny

It was September 19th, 1996. It was about midday on a chilly Wednesday afternoon. The majority of Gryffindors had gone down to the Quidditch pitch after hearing word that Harry went there to practice every Wednesday, taking Ron with him as well. Only a few Gryffindors were left in the Common Room, allowing for Hermione to sneak in Ellie after classes.

It was also Hermione's 17th birthday. Ellie had greeted her with many hugs and kisses but unfortunately wasn't able to gift anything to her girlfriend. Ellie lay flat on one of the oversized couches with Hermione laying on top of her, snuggling her head in the crook of her girlfriend's neck. The emptiness of the common room allowed the lovers to cuddle in peace, which was something that occurred only a handful of times. By now, the two weren't afraid if anyone had seen them cuddling, as it would look like an innocent attempt to warm each other up.

Ellie ran her fingers through Hermione's curly hair while her other hand rested on the small of her back.

"I'm sorry I didn't get you a gift," Ellie muttered.

"It's okay, love. You're not obligated to give me a gift just because I'm your girlfriend," Hermione said softly, her warm breath hitting Ellie's neck.

"Seventeen, huh?" Ellie chuckled.

"Yeah. It's crazy. I was just fifteen when I met you."

"Time flies when you're in love," Ellie said softly, placing a kiss on the top of Hermione's head.

Hermione let out a small giggle and planted a kiss on Ellie's neck. Ellie moved so that she was sitting up now, with Hermione leaning against her as she sat between her legs, both of them facing the same direction. Ellie wrapped her arms around her girlfriend and reached around to kiss her on the cheek. Hermione blushed as she scooted backwards, pressing her back against Ellie's torso.

"So, darling... I just thought of a birthday gift I can give to you," Ellie whispered in Hermione's ear.

"Ellie... I told you already. You don't have to get me anything," Hermione replied softly as she placed her hands over Ellie's.

"I think you'll like it," Ellie countered as she turned over her hands to lace their fingers together.

"You're not going to take no for an answer, will you?" Hermione sighed.

"Nope," Ellie replied cheerily. "Anyways, I've been thinking. I know you wanted for us to be public with our relationship. And that I agreed we tell our friends first. Well... for your birthday present, maybe you can choose who you want to tell first."

Hermione whipped her head around with a wide smile. "Seriously?" Hermione said excitedly.

"Yes. Just tell me a name and we can tell them right now, if you'd like," Ellie smiled as she saw the excitement on her girlfriend's face.

"Well, who already knows?"

"George, Fred, Draco, and Luna."

Hermione pondered over the offer for a few moments before twisting her body to turn to her girlfriend.

"Ginny. She's in her dorm right now."

"Ginny? Are you sure?" Ellie asked with a quizzical expression.

"Absolutely. Why do you say so?"

"Well, I thought you'd choose Harry first. Or even Ron."

Hermione looked shocked. "For Merlin's sake, no! Harry's been so attached to his potions book, he practically sleeps with it. And Ron... well, he has a lot on his plate right now. Plus, he doesn't know when to shut that big mouth of his."

Ellie chuckled. "Wow, then. Okay, love. Where's Ginny by the way?"

Suddenly, the red-haired Gryffindor spoke from behind them as she stood at the bottom of the stairs. The two snapped their heads to turn to Ginny's direction, their hearts pounding from the moment of fear.

"Hey, guys," Ginny said as she made her way to sit in front of the two.

"You scared the bloody daylights out of us!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Sorry about that. I was just coming down to take a walk when I heard my name."

Ellie readjusted herself to gently remove her girlfriend from in front of her. They repositioned so that they were sitting closely next to each other, facing Ginny.

"Did you happen to hear anything prior to that?" Ellie questioned.

"No, nothing at all."

Ellie looked to Hermione who gave a nod of approval.

"Well... Hermione and I want to tell you something. Something... important to us." Ellie took a deep breath as she looked to Hermione for her to continue.

"Go on, then," Ginny encouraged with a smile.

Hermione interlaced her fingers with Ellie's and placed them on her lap. She gave a smile to her girlfriend as she looked back to the red-head.

Hermione took a shaky breath. "Ellie and I... are together."

There was a pause as a smile crept up on Ginny's face.

"It's about bloody time! Come here, you two!" Ginny exclaimed excitedly as she stood up with her arms outstretched.

Hermione was the first to stand up and hugged Ginny. Ellie stood up next and hugged the red-head tightly, whispering a "Thank you" in her ear.

The three proceeded to return to their seats.

"What do you mean 'it's about time'?" Ellie questioned as she slung her arm over her girlfriend.

"First of all, you two don't ever spend more than 24 hours away from each other. You don't think I notice you two always trying to sneak off somewhere? Plus, you both share my room at the Burrow. Don't think I just ignore the tension whenever I'm there. I'm not Ron," Ginny laughed.

"W-Wait. You knew all along?" Hermione asked in shock.

"Ever since last year," the red-head replied confidently.

"But you didn't say anything..." Ellie trailed.

"Why would I? It's quite amusing seeing you guys try to hide it, anyway," Ginny giggled.

Hermione and Ellie's cheeks turned flush with embarrassment but broke out into a fit of laughs. After the laughter had died down, Ginny spoke up again and turned to look at Hermione.

"She's a keeper, Hermione. She looks at you like you're the only girl in the world," Ginny spoke.

Hermione smiled widely and looked to her girlfriend, who darted her eyes away as her cheeks became flushed with a pink color.

"I'm not planning on letting her go, anyway," Hermione replied to Ginny. "Isn't that right, my love?" Hermione turned to her girlfriend, tilting her chin to look at her.

A smile crept on Ellie's face. "You're absolutely right."

Ellie turned to Ginny with an appreciative smile. Ginny's expression turned softer as she opened her mouth to speak.

"Hey- um. Would you mind putting in a good word to Harry? It seems he's been a little harsher on me," Ginny asked uneasily.

"Of course, Ginny," Ellie replied warmly.

Ginny thanked the Hufflepuff as she snuggled into her chair, pulling a blanket over her.

Ellie placed a quick peck on Hermione's lips. "Happy birthday, beautiful," Ellie muttered.

"Thank you, love," Hermione thanked, bringing her face just inches away from Ellie's, caressing her cheek with her thumb.

"Hey, lovebirds. I'm still here," Ginny reminded.

Together, the three of them laughed for the rest of the afternoon. Hermione made herself comfortable as she rest her head on her girlfriend's shoulder. The three girls talked about everything they could, mostly just complaining about the boys in their lives. Ellie eventually had to leave as more and more Gryffindors began to enter the common room.