Chapter 15: It's not pity. it's comfort.

Start from the beginning

 My heart clenched painfully. It felt as if someone had stabbed me in the gut. My eyes stung with unshed tears and my lip began to quiver. I didn’t stop, I just kept on walking. I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of seeing how broken I really was. I wouldn’t let him see the pain in my eyes or how much his words affect me, and then he would know how to hurt me.

As soon as I was outside the school doors, I whipped furiously at my eyes and took a few calming breaths. I couldn’t let Nick see me like this. Then I would have to explain myself. Once I was convinced I wasn’t going to break down the moment I saw him, I set off towards his bike.

“Hey beautiful” I heard Nick call, his voice was low and seductive but he had a taunting glint in his eyes. My cheeks were set ablaze, but I looked behind my shoulder just to check that he was actually talking to me.

“Did you seriously just look behind you?” He asked dumbfounded, giving me a disbelieving stare. My cheeks reddened in embarrassment, I scoffed and ran my fingers through my hair nervously “Of course not. I was just, erm … checking something”

“Right” he drawled disbelieving, climbing onto his bike and passing me a helmet. I smiled weakly at him and secured the helmet on my head, before climbing on behind him. My stomach fluttered when I wrapped my arms around his waist.

We drove in silence, I had my head resting on his toned back. I couldn’t help myself but to take advantage of the situation … after all, I am a hormonal teenage girl. And Nick is well … As hot as hell.

“Do you think that I have changed? Or am I still just a stupid, scared little good girl?” I found myself asking pathetically. “What?” Nick asked, his voice sounding shocked and alarmed. My eyes winded, as my eyes darted around for an excuse “Nick why are we driving right past my house?”

“I really need to check on something, Max wasn’t in school today” Nick informed me, his voice tight and strained. “Is he ok? Is he ill or something?” I asked worriedly. “Probably something like that” He mumbled bitterly.  

Silence settled upon us, but unlike before it was awkward and unsettling. Thankfully it only took us around ten minutes to reach what I can only assume to be Max’s house. It was in a rough area of town. Paint was chipping of the walls and the front lawn was died of all life, the whole place looked kind of eerie.

I was just about to check that we were in the right place when, something smashed inside. Then there was uproar of shouting and crashing from inside. I gasped and within a flash Nick was running up the steps to the front door.

I stumbled a little toward the floor, in Nick’s haste to get inside. But as soon as I got my footing I ran towards him. He was hammering the door with his shoulder in an attempt to break the door down.

With a grunt the door slammed open and Nick stumbled to the floor cradling his shoulder. “Nick” I shouted, he ignored me and scurried to his feet running into another room. My heart was pounding in my chest as a worrying amount of dreadful thoughts ran through my head. What was going on?

Just as I skidded round the corner of the room Nick disappeared through, my whole body froze in complete and utter fear and shock. Max was lay on the floor his nose gushing with blood, his eye was swollen and already turning black and blue. His knuckles were scratched and bloody and his lip was busted.