Chapter 23

It seemed that every time she fell asleep with Pope, someone had to find them and wake them up before they could realize that they were being watched. 

The fact annoyed her more than she cared to admit. Especially when she had to separate herself from the boy, the lack of warmth making her shiver. 

Delilah was quiet as the group fussed over the map of Parcel Nine, not exactly having much to contribute in the matter. She was lost in her own thoughts, conflicting about emotions she wasn't used to having. It was distracting her, and she hated herself for it. 

Her eyes roamed the map spread out before her, trying to discern a certain pattern or hint that she could recognize. Her usually sharp mind felt clouded and heavy, forcing her to look away. 

The girl felt Pope's stare on the side of her face, but refused to turn and acknowledge it, knowing it wouldn't do her any good. 

JJ rested his hand on her knee, startling her out of her dazed state of mind.

"You good?" he asked, concern lacing his voice. "We can drop you off if you don't feel well."

She shot him a weak smile. "No, I'm fine. Just tired." She got up, only then noticing that John B and Kiara were waiting for them in the van. "Come on."

Pope hovered at the doorway and she collected the courage to meet his eyes. Questions fused through the silent connection, a worry that something was wrong and that it had to do with him. She shook her head, the movement barely noticeable. His shoulders slumped, but he didn't press the matter, giving her an encouraging smile.

JJ coughed awkwardly. "Um. Are you guys done?"

A spark of amusement lit her eyes. "Hush, JJ. I was testing out my telepathic skills."

Some of the concern melted from Pope's eyes, replaced with a small smile.

JJ smirked. "If you want to know what's going on through my mind, please ask. I'd gladly oblige."

She grimaced, suppressing the laugh bubbling up her throat. "Only if you have holy water nearby. I'll need it."

"It's only an impression." Pope rolled his eyes, fighting an amused grin. "Worst case, he's thinking about his next fishing trip."

The blond boy shoved at his friend's shoulder, making a squeaking sound as a complaint. She laughed, pushing her worries into a far corner in her mind. 

Delilah grasped both of their wrists, tugging them to the van where Kiara and John B were waiting.

"So," reasoned Pope, slamming the vehicle's door behind him. "We're just looking for an old stone wall."

The idea was ridiculous, it was looking for a needle in a haystack. But John B seemed to know what he was doing, following the directions Kiara was giving him. 

The tension between the two friends was felt through the entire van, barely loosened by their common goal.

"Okay, the road should split up here," noted Kiara, eyes never leaving the map.

John B pressed his lips together, concentrating. 

Delilah tilted her head to the side, leaning forward in order to observe his expression. "Relax, John B." The boy blinked, startled. "Your knuckles are turning white."

"I am relaxed," he protested, making an effort to loosen his grip on the steering wheel.

She gave him a pointed stare, letting him know he wasn't fooling anyone.

"Fine," he sighed. "I might be nervous."

She gave him a reassuring smile. "And that's perfectly normal."