Chapter 31: Let Me Fix This

Delilah pressed her lips together as Rafe's dirtbike roared to life. They'd checked John B's house from top to bottom in search for the smallest clue that would indicate where the rest of their crew was.

"Where are they?" cursed Pope, holding on to her waist in order not to fall off as she sped up in the streets.

Her hands were clenched on the throttle and handlebars, the nerves making it hard to focus. Had they gotten into trouble? Had Ward found them? 

The sun had started setting, and still no sign of the van.

"Let's think this through," she shouted over the wind rushing past. "When was the last time you saw them?"

"When they were on their way to the pawn-shop to cash in the gold, they dropped me off at the police station."

She frowned. "Ok..."

"There!" yelled Pope, pointing towards a person walking on the side of the street.

Kiara.

Delilah squeezed the brakes, stopping the bike in a half-controlled manoeuvre that earned a squeak of protest from Pope.

"Kie! God, am I happy to see you," she grinned, tugging off her helmet.

Kiara raised an eyebrow. "That's news to me. What's up?"

"Where the hell were you guys?" exclaimed Pope, worry evident in his tone.

"Woah, chill," said the curly-haired girl, glancing between the both of them in confusion. "We were chased down by a crazed drug dealer who wanted the gold. JJ stormed off after breaking into the guy's house and stealing some cash, I'm trying to find him."

Delilah rubbed her forehead, trying to think things through. "This isn't good."

She took a deep breath, knowing she couldn't let the panic control her. It wouldn't do any good, she had to stay calm, she had to find a solution. 

The crazed drug dealer could be no other than Barry, the guy Rafe had gone to for drugs. Knowing her childhood best friends was in his debt, he would most likely hunt him down and threaten him. Not to forget that he had been beaten up by Ward, and that he wanted revenge. The fact that Sarah, his sister, was involved in the whole thing only strengthened her theory. 

She needed to get back to the Thompson mansion, and fast.

"Pope, I need you to get Kiara up-to-date with everything going on." Her voice was strong and steady, without an ounce of the nerves she had felt barely a few minutes before. Her friends needed her. "Then, find John B, he's the one that is the most in danger right now. If you guys can't find him within an hour, we meet at JJ's. Got it?"

Kiara frowned, alerted by the word danger. "Del, what..."

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Pope gave her a military salute, cutting Kiara's questions, which would only waste precious time. "Yes, ma'am."

The sight managed to make her smile, her heart doing a little somersault in her chest.

"I'll see you soon," she forced herself to say as she kick-started the engine.

Pope opened his mouth to say something, but before she could hear any of his words, she was already speeding off, knowing the control she held over her emotions would break if she did. 

Pushing the dirt bike to go faster, she forgot the entire concept of a speed limit, gone past the idea of caring whether or not a cop would catch her. She barely slowed down at the sight of the unfamiliar car parked on the side of the road by her aunt and uncle's mansion.