Chapter 36: Neck Deep in Trouble

Delilah could't help the love-struck smile that floated on her lips as she walked back to Figure 8. The memory of the kiss Pope had given her before she left wouldn't leave her mind. Not that she did anything to help it. 

She was in trouble, neck deep in an emotion she knew was love. And she didn't care. Didn't care that she would throw herself in front of a bus for him without the slightest regret. Perhaps that sounded extreme, but that was the extent of the feelings swelling her heart. 

Heyward had threaded carefully around her when he'd welcomed her inside their home, but his face had become less grave when he'd seen how well she and Pope got along. His mother had sobbed with joy at the sight of him, having been sick with worry ever since he'd disappeared. She'd nearly fallen on her knees to thank God that he had Delilah to watch over him. 

The stern talking to Heyward would give his son couldn't be avoided, but it satisfied her to know that she had at least delayed the moment, perhaps lessening Heyward's anger. 

He would be wary around her for a while, she realized it, especially for a man that had served the Kooks his entire life. While Pope's mother tightly hugged her son, Heyward had stared at her, dark eyes hard and unforgiving. 

He had seen her nervousness as she bit her lips, clenching and unclenching her fingers. The sight had softened his features and gave her hope. 

Love wasn't as horrible as she had thought it would be. Yes, it drove her absolutely crazy. Yes, she was terrified. But the feeling lightened her chest and made her want to laugh out loud for no particular reason. She was giddy and joyous, hopeful for the future. It was both disgusting and a relief. 

She'd accept the feelings, she decided, but voicing them out loud was another thing. For now, Delilah didn't want to think about it. 

She hummed and twirled under the stars, her short hair flying into her face. 

As the wind brushed her hair out of her eyes, she froze. 

Planted in front of the Craine's house was a large sign with Cameron Construction written with bold letters on it. 

Dread washed over her. Ward knew about the gold. He had already started digging. 

A shadow slid from the tree to her left, the angry stomps not as discreet as a shadow usually was.

"John B?" she asked, bewildered.

The boy spun around so fast she heard his neck crack.

"What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same," he snapped back.

"Don't play that game with me, John B," she said, raising her eyebrow. "You saw the sign, didn't you?"

The boy gritted his teeth. "Ward Cameron killed my father. And now, he wants to take away my legacy. I won't let him!"

"This is getting serious," she warned. "The man tried to kill you more than once."

"Yeah, no shit," spat John B. "But apparently, I'm the one that tried to murder him. So now I'm a wanted man."

"Take a deep breath, boy," she snapped. "I'm not the enemy here."

John B clamped his mouth shut almost immediately, trying to keep his cool.

"We're in trouble," she muttered, pinching the bridge of her nose. "No one will believe you and how in the world are we supposed to get the gold back? We were trespassing last time, there is no legal way to get it back."

"We can't always play by the rules," muttered the boy.

She narrowed her eyes at him. "May I remind you that this is what got you labelled as a criminal in the first place?" Before he could bite back an answer, her hand shot up to interrupt him. "I don't want to hear it. You have to go into hiding for a bit. The rest of us will figure out where Ward will transfer the gold. Then, the illegal stuff will come into play. But not for you."

John B tightly pressed his lips together.

"Do you understand?" she growled.

"Fine," he said, looking away.

She sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Please, lie low. Find yourself a place to stay and hide. We'll find you when things have calmed down a bit."

He nodded, his every movement tight and controlled. "Alright."

She clasped his shoulder, although it was at the same height as her forehead and smiled encouragingly. "I'll see you soon."

Delilah watched him run back into the woods, following a path she couldn't see from there. Exhaling a breath, she eased her mind into a calm state, hoping it will allow her to think clearly. She had to think this through. 

Her mind cast back to the note left by Rafe when she had awakened. This was the job he'd mentioned, there was no doubt about it. If she could find him and squeeze out the information she needed, it might get her a head start on what to do next. 

Taking a deep breath, she broke into a jog, falling into a rhythm until she didn't have to think anymore. By the time she could see her aunt and uncle's house, she was fully sprinting, collapsing onto the grass completely out of breath, but with a clear mind. 

It was unfortunate that Rafe wasn't around. Sprawled on her bed, she pondered about how life never went how she planned it. 

The fact bothered her more than she cared to admit.

A/N Hello folks! Sorry for the short and somewhat boring chapter, the action will return soon. My next update might be late, but I hope it'll be worth it in the end. 

Love y'all, 

Aella