Prologue: The Parabatai Ritual

"We are ready."
Brother Enoch's voice echoes in my mind. My stomach churns and my hands begin to shake. This is wrong, it all feels wrong.
"You okay?" Jules asks, his forehead creased with concern. I take his arm and trace the word 'no' onto it. He frowns.
"Can we have a moment, please?" He says. The silent brother bows his head, and glides out of the room. I don't think I'll ever get used to their silent stride and mutilated skin.
"What is it? What's wrong?" Jules asks.
"You do know that this is forever, we can't take this back- for anything?" My eyes lock his gaze, and he locks mine, though I see a flash of uncertainty.
"But aren't we forever?"
"Yes, Jules, but you're missing the point. Once the ritual is completed, there's no turning back."
"I know. But I feel so sure about this. It's the right thing to do. I care about you more than anything else, who better to ask than you? I thought you wanted this," he says, hurt in his eyes.
"Julian Blackthorn, you being my parabatai means the world to me, I just want you to think about the choices that will be taken from us." I grip his hand in mine.
"Like what?"
"Like love," I say, my voice comes out calmly, though my throat is tight and dry.
"I-" he starts. Brother Enoch comes into the hallway, his parchment coloured robe barely rustling.
"It is time. This is the time where you will make your final choice, so choose carefully."
Taking a deep breath, I compose myself, putting on a smile and checking my hair for loose strands.
"We're going through with this," I say. Jules glances at me, as if to ask if I'm sure.
"Well chosen. Not many have the opportunity to experience a bond so deep."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are lead down a damp corridor and into a domed room made of stone. Three rings of fire are in the centre, and hundreds of precious gems embedded into the floor. Marble pillars made of my race's ashes support the ceiling. That will be me some day. Before me are approximately sixty silent brothers and ten members of the Clave. It's not everyday that the Parabatai Ritual takes place. Brother Enoch beckons me over to one of the circles. I take a deep breath and ball my fists to stop them shaking. This is it. Without hesitating, I step into the flames like Brother Enoch had told me to. They part instantly. I can hear my heart pounding in my chest, threatening to burst my ribs. What am I thinking? Jules has been the closest thing I've had to a brother since we were learnt to walk. This is the right thing to do. No it's wrong. It doesn't feel right. But there's no going back now.

"Julian Blackthorn and Emma Carstairs, the ceremony has begun. Please turn to face each other."
I spin to face Jules and gaze at him. Emotion flickers in his eyes, something deep and sad. What's wrong? I mouth at him. He shakes his head slightly. I give him a troubled look.
"You may step into the centre circle."
My limbs shake uncontrollably as I stride forward to meet Jules. We take out our steles and Jules leans forward to mark me first. The rune burns. I grit my teeth to stop me from crying out. When he is done, I mark him. He doesn't even flinch. It is sealed.
"Now you must say your vows," Brother Enoch's voice echoes in my mind.

"Entreat me not to leave thee," we say in unison,
"Or return from following after thee-
For whither thou goest, I will go,
And where thou lodgest, I will lodge.
Thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.
Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried.
The Angel do so to me, and more also,
If aught but death part thee and me."

We are now Parabatai. We are one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi guys! Thanks so so so much for reading this! I'm new on Wattpad so if you liked the story please recommend me to your friends/followers. Hopefully I will be posting 1-3 chapters a week so I will be active!
- C