Chapter 12

Emma's poV -R xx

After we had notified the clave, Jules and I walked over to my bedroom and sat down on the bed. I put my face in my hands and let everything flood back. I had to be strong through this. For myself and everybody else here.

Jace had been in his room for three days straight. I had contemplated going in to talk to him, but if his parabatai couldn't cheer him up, then there was no chance I could. But, I should try anyway. I walked down to Jace's room and bumped into Simon

"hey, just gonna see if I can talk to Jace", I said

"Hi, and I don't think that's a great idea", he pushed his glasses up his nose, he had gotten them back after he performed ascension.

"Nothing wrong with trying, I guess", I smiled at him.

"I guess", he replied.

I knocked on Jace's door. I heard a grunt from inside. "If you're Isabelle, go away. If you're Alec, go away. If you're Simon go aw-", I pushed the door open, stepped inside, and closed it quietly behind me.

"Hey Jace, it's me Emma". I walked over to his bed and sat down as he looked up. His eyes were so hollow and empty it was saddening. "Well,erm, Jules and I are leaving soon, so you guys, can, you know...err...recover, and I just wanted to say something". He put his face back in his hands and didn't say anything. "I know you're upset, and so am I, but, think about what Clary would have wanted. When my parents died, I felt so alone, until I realised that they wouldn't have wanted me to spend my whole life mourning them. They would want me to go out and be the best shadowhunter I could, and..and that's what I did", I stopped, "So, I am..err..gonna go now and so..um..bye". I got up to leave when Jace spoke, his voice rough.

"Thank you, Emma Carstairs. You have given to me what nobody else could have", he said

"what do you mean?", I asked

"Hope. You've just given me hope". He looked up at me and smiled.