author's note » wallis and jen in real life

so, umm, yeah. sorry if that story was really heavy/depressing. but i wanted to bring a couple societal ideals into full view. i would like to just make a quick note of who jen and wallis really were.

wallis: obviously, not everyone who is skinny is anorexic. many of my friends have trouble gaining weight, no matter how much they eat, and have actually had guys make fun of them because they are not "built like a girl". it grates on my nerves. the reason i chose wallis to be anorexic, however, is because i think it is important to acknowledge. there are eating disorders out there, people suffer from them, and it's not okay to joke about it. 

jen: so jen was really based off of me. i'm not perfect, okay? my body doesn't necessarily have all the right curves in all the right places (thank you, meghan trainor for making a "curvy" ideal for everyone to try and live up to). i've always been very self concious of my weight. i'm small, just over five feet, and, honestly, i'm pretty thin. but it's hard to be "skinny" when your friends weigh, like, ninety pounds. over the past few years, i began to not eat/eat less/try to lose weight. and i get now that i don't need to. and i see how unhealthy it is.

but that said, i would also like to point out when people say "i'm so fat." yeah, so part of the reason i thought i was fat was because my skinny friends would always say that. and once you hear it enough, you start to wonder what they think of you. so i just want to say, you know, be careful with what you say. 

in general: lots of people judge others. i do it too sometimes, not gonna lie. but i hope that from this you take away from it a little more awareness, and a lot more compassion for others. life is not always easy for some people, and it's important to remember that. clothes, makeup, hair, looks-they're nice. but they are not who a person truly is.

anyway, i hope you enjoyed this story. thanks for reading. xx,

em