"Okay, I didn't sign you up for the pageant," Caroline pauses, nodding to herself. "Except that I did."

"Caroline, what the hell!" Athena throws her arms up, her exclamation echoing down the hallway. "I am not a pageant girl, okay? I don't do pageants. And that's nothing against you or any other girl that does, I just don't want to spend twelve hours of my life prancing around on a stage trying to impress strangers, when I could've done something better— like get Stefan out of the tomb."

"Okay, but he's been in there for almost a week, what's another few days?"

"Caroline!"

"Okay, okay, I was just kidding," Caroline pushed her hair out of her face, looking at Athena pleadingly. "Listen, our lives have been overtaken by vampires and— and witches, and scary things I can't think about too long or I get anxious, and the Miss Mystic Falls pageant is one of the only things I have left of my life before that, so I'm begging you, Athena,"

The brunette purses her lips, rolling her gaze away from Caroline's sad, pleading eyes. "Stop doing that."

"Doing what?"

"Giving me a sad speech and sad eyes, and making me feel bad about not wanting to do things,"

"I don't–"

"I'm not doing the pageant," Athena cuts her off, watching her face fall. "But I will help you win it. I'll walk you out, and help you get ready— you can borrow a dress if you need to."

Caroline's eyes brighten again, and she gives Athena a nod at the compromise. "That's totally fine– it's better, actually, because the prize is a scholarship, and no offense, but I'm pretty sure your dad could pay for Stanford out of pocket."

Athena sighs, giving her an exasperated smile and Caroline grins, feigning innocence. The blonde quickly starts, slapping Athena's arm rapidly, making her yelp and back away from Caroline.

"Ow, ow— what!"

"What was Bonnie saying on the phone about the tomb?"

Suddenly reminded of the good news, Athena grins wide in a way that makes Caroline's heart ache for the times when it was all she did. Though it was a rare sight now, it made her appreciate it all the more. "She found a way to get Stefan out of the tomb and she's coming home in a few days to do it."

Caroline's eyes widened in surprise. "Really? So Stefan will be free by the end of the week?"

"If he isn't, then I might kill someone again, so," Athena smiles wryly, and then strides past Caroline towards the lunchroom, leaving the blonde in the hallway to process her words.

"Wait– again? Athena!"

──────

"Athena, would you mind staying after class? I, uh, need to ask you a few questions,"

Athena looked up from the mindless scribbles she'd been making in the margins of her notebook, her eyes narrowing suspiciously at Mr. Saltzman. Though, knowing it would only gain curious eyes and ears, she simply agreed to his question as the bell rang and students fled from the classroom.

Alaric watched the young girl meticulously pack up her things, making sure she had everything she needed before she finally set her gaze on him.

He'd noticed far before he saw the incident the night of the dance that Athena Hunt was not a normal teenager. At first, he assumed that maybe it was another case of that popular kid in high school who thought they could ride the wave of relevancy for the rest of their lives, but he quickly learned otherwise.