CH 11

POV Waverly

I make my way into the locker room to change into my cheer uniform for the girls' basketball game today. I am super excited to watch Nicole play. All I know is that she is good enough to make the team, but I have never actually seen her play.

Right when I walk in the locker room, I see Nicole only wearing a sports bra and her basketball shorts and I realize I'm staring once my eye make their way up to hers and she is looking right back at me.

She raises her eyebrows at me with a slight smile on her face and I just quickly look away and turn to face my locker. I feel that my face is super red, so I decide to stay faced towards my locker as I get changed.

Just as I am about to go out with the cheer team to form a tunnel that the players run out of when the announcer calls their name, I pass Nicole talking with her teammates.

"Hey sorry to interrupt you guys but I just wanted to wish you good luck Nicole. Oh, and good luck to you guys too." I realized that might have been weird for me to only say good luck to her when there were a bunch of her teammates around. 

She smiles, "Thanks Waves."

I walk away but I turn back and see Nicole's teammates nudging and teasing her while she just smiles and shakes her head. I can only assume that they are teasing her about it seeming like I'm into her. Well, they aren't totally wrong.

The game is now about to start, and the cheer team and I take our position on the sideline ready to cheer after big moments. I see Nicole scanning the crowd and her eyes stop on Claudia. They both smile and wave at each other and I cannot help but feel a mixture of sadness and jealousy. I can't get too upset though because Nicole doesn't even know how I feel, no one does because of Champ.

I shake out of it as the whistle blows and the game starts. Nicole gets the ball right away and I think the other team is underestimating her because the girl that is supposed to be guarding her is really slacking off. Nicole dribbles up to the three-point line, shoots, and scores. The cheer team and I jump up and cheer then sit back down.

The next time Nicole gets the ball her defender seems to take her more seriously, but that doesn't stop Nicole from shooting and scoring another three pointer. This happens quite a few more times, but Nicole also passes the ball a lot so that her other teammates can score.

The game is a close one. It is now nearing the end of the 4th quarter and we are only winning by six points. The other team checks the ball in and gets it to their best player and she shoots and scores a three pointer. Great, now we only lead by three points. The center checks the ball into Nicole, and she is tightly covered by two defenders now. She is forced to stop dribbling and tries to pass up court, but it is intercepted and they another team scores another three pointer. We are tied.

There are only eight seconds left in the game, so this is our last chance to win before going into overtime. The ball gets checked into one of Nicole's teammates, but instead of shooting she passes it to Nicole who shoots another three pointer. It felt like time slowed down in that moment as everyone's eyes follow the ball through the air. Just as the buzzer goes off the ball swooshes through the net.

We won! Oh my god, we won! The whole cheer team including myself got up and started cheering louder than we ever have before. The players cleared the bench and dog piled on Nicole. The celebration lasted a few minutes and then everything began to die down.

Everyone went into the locker room to change and eventually everyone left, and it was just me and a few stragglers. I begin to walk towards the exit, but I though that if Nicole was here, I should ask her if she wanted to walk home with me since it was getting dark.

I walked back into the locker room to see Claudia pinned up against the lockers by Nicole and them making out. I quickly stop in my tracks and just turn around and leave before they can even see me.

As I walk out the front doors of the school, Ifeel a tear roll down my cheek. This fucking sucks, I hate this. If I was ableto show people, the real me maybe this wouldn't be happening. You know what, it'sabout time I put my happiness before what people think about me. Fuck Champ andfuck his stupid hold over me I'm done with this. 

A/N

I'm not done with finals yet, but found some free time to write this chapter. More to come soon hopefully! Thank you and I hope you're still enjoying it!