Chapter I: Heaven Can Wait

Start from the beginning

"Are you OK? Not hurt or anything?" I asked to reassure myself

They both shock their heads in negative.

"You should try and sleep some more." Hershel said "If you need anything Daryl will be just outside the door."

I don't remember falling asleep, but I woke up in a sudden with someone breathing too close to me and hit my head in the headboard.

"What the fuck, girl?" Said Daryl while backing up a few steps.

"What the fuck? What the fuck are YOU doing?" I touched the painful spot in my head.

"I was just checking if you're still breathing. You talk a lot in your sleep, but then were so quiet out of nothing I thought you were gone." He walked to the door "Now that you're up guess my babysitting job's done." And he left.

Outside, people were gathered around a wide table eating what smelled like fish fry. I went over and sat beside Jake.

"Honey, you should eat." A short haired woman handed me a plate of fish fry and corn "How are you feeling today?" she asked and took the seat by my side.

"My arm is still stings a bit, but it's totally bearable."

"I'm Carol." She smiled and I introduced myself.

"Is everything ok?" I turned to Jake who had a mouthful of corn and he nodded in agreement "Is everybody being nice to you two?" he nodded again.

"They are great" he swallowed his food "We went out earlier to get those fish, and I can even go on supply runs..." he said with excitement in his voice.

"And where's Alana?"

"She's keeping watch with Dale." He pointed to a trailer where she stood with an older guy.

"How long did I sleep?" I asked confused they were already part of the crew.

"Two days." Rick said and sat in front of us.

"Guess gunshots really drain our forces out, right?" I forced a giggle.

"Are you going to tell us who did this to you?" Rick looked over at my wound.

I looked around to see everyone staring back at me

"Yeah... It's about time we know in what we're getting ourselves into."  Said a man from the end of the table

"Shane, let the girl speak!" Andrea intervened.

"I don't know who it was. We were out hunting, and when we got back Maddie and Leo were laying in the ground..."I blinked a few times to fight back some tears "They were both dead, and some guys were putting our stuff in the trunk of a jeep, and one of them spot us and chased after, that's when he shot but he my shoulder."

"We were running from them when you guys showed up." Jake said.

"So they were just some street bandits?" Rick asked.

"I don't think so... They were pretty neat. The clothes seemed new, they looked clean."

Everyone suddenly seemed concerned; Rick had his hand on his chin, the rest stared at their plates. Everyone ate in silence and nobody said a word before I left.

I went back into the house with my plate in hands looking for a place to wash it. I entered the kitchen and found Glenn and a girl doing the dishes.

"Hey!" He said with a large smile "How are you feeling today?"

"So great I could be doing push ups." I joked.

"I'm Maggie." I smiled and introduced myself again

"Do you think you can sleep outside today?" Glenn asked.

"Yeah, I guess."

"Do you mind crashing with Daryl and Jake? I'd tell you to sleep in the RV, but there's pretty crowded; Dale, Andrea, Alana and me sometimes..." He said and looked over to the girl and both laughed.

When it got dark Glenn helped and got me a sleeping bag and a blanket and walked me over to my tent that was a little distant from the rest.

"We're gonna be roomies!" I said as I entered the tent and Jake was sitting inside reading.

"That's great!" He said exited "Haven't had someone to talk for a while with mister good humour here." He pointed the tent next to ours.

"He can't be that bad..."

"So go try and see. But don't say didn't I warn you!"

As I left the tent, Daryl was sitting sharpening his knife with a rock.

"Hey..." I said but he didn't look up "Why did you set your tent so far away from the others?"

He stood up and looked at my face and before he could brush me off we heard screams. I looked at him with terror in my eyes.

"Stay here, girl." He said and run with his crossbow in hand.

I run after him to find Dale with his guts out and a roamer down with a bullet hole in its forehead.

I put my hand in front of my mouth to stop myself from screaming, and watched the poor man cry for help.

"Someone help him!" Yelled Andrea "Someone please help him!"

Everyone froze; their safe heaven was no longer so safe. Daryl stepped up and with a "Sorry, brother" shot an arrow right through Dale's skull.

They kept looking in horror for some minutes until a long haired brunette broke the silence.

"He can't stay here! Someone move him!"

"Yes... yes..." Rick shook his head "Lori is right. Let's move him." He turned himself to a black man standing at his side "T-Dog, get the shovel please."

Rick and Daryl got Dale's body while T-Dog started digging a grave.

Hershel advised everybody to sleep inside that night, and he scaled people to be keep watch.

Once inside the house I could feel the tension in the air.

I put my sleeping bag in the further away from the others I could.

I was humming to myself when someone dragged a sleeping bag to my side.

"Hey." Daryl said as he lay in his sleeping bag.

Side eyed him and continued to hum to myself.

"Ya giving me the cold, huh?"

This time I stop humming and looked over to him but he was already facing the other side.

"It's creepy right? You think you're safe, that nothing can get to you, and then something like this happens just to remind you not to get too comfortable."

"Yeah." He said, still not looking at me.

"Are you scared?"

"No. I guess nowhere was ever safe for me before."

I didn't reply.

Hello everyone! I just came here to say two things:

1st Yes, the first one (and maybe the second) is a little shitty, but I guarantee after the third things get better!

2nd: If anyone is reading just give me a heads up.

xo