Chapter I: Heaven Can Wait

Chapter I: Eve

They were everywhere; I tried to take my handgun out of my belt but my shoulder hurt too much.

Alana and Jake, each one facing a side of me stabbed the ones they could, but they were too many. They were hungry and just waiting for a chance to take a bite of us.

Suddenly an abrupt and loud gunshot sound and one of them was down.

"Shit. He found us!" Jake said.

I felt lightheaded. The sounds begin to distant and got lower and lower, darkness started clouding my eyes. I touched the wound on my shoulder and slowly began to fall.

I fought to keep my eyes open, and more roamers were falling next to us.

He found us, was going to kill the roamers first and then us.

I don't really know for how long I was away, but when I woke up I was glad I wasn't dead, at least not yet. I opened my eyes to an old man, with snow-flake white hair looking at me.

"Rick, she's up." He said to a man that was leaning against the doorframe.

He came closer to my bed, and I tried getting up but my whole arm was numb.

"Easy..." The old man said "Your arm must be a little sore from the surgery."

"What surgery?" I said in a barely audible voice

"I performed a surgery to remove the bullet from your shoulder. It cracked up in little pieces."

"Oh." My left hand reached out for the bandage in my right shoulder "Thank you."

"Now, why won't you tell us your name?"

I looked over to see the room was actually full of other faces staring back at me; the man he called Rick, a guy with a huge crossbow pointed at me, an Asian boy and a blond woman.

"Eve." I said trying to make my voice more clear "Eve Wells."

"So, Miss Wells, what were you doing so close to our property?" Rick said sharply

"We were running for nowhere in particular." I shot back at him, frightened "We didn't even know there was anything here other here than the forest; we were just passing when those things attacked."

"Are you sure no one sent you here? Because if we discover..." Before he could end the sentence the old man cut in

"She said they were just passing through."

Rick helped me to sit in the bed and sat in its end.

"Did Jake and Alana make it?" The fear in my voice was perceptible.

"You bet they did after we did all their dirty work!" Said the man whose crossbow was still pointing at me.

"Where are they? Can I please see them?" I asked Rick

"Daryl, can you please go get them?"

They guy lowered his crossbow and moaned something before heading out the door.

"That was Daryl by the way." Rick said "I'm Rick, that's Hershel" He pointed to the old man "Those two are Andrea and Glenn" he pointed at the Asian guy that waved and the blond woman that kept a straight face.

"You made it!" I said as Jake and Alana entered the door and ran to hug me.

"You made it too!" Alana kissed my forehead "We were so worried... but Hershel assured us it'd be alright... I guess heaven can wait, then!"