Chapter 1 - Flames to the heart

Start from the beginning

"When did you become so wise?" Buck chuckles.

"There see, I got you to chuckle! Look, let's get the shift over and we can try to sort this mess later, what do you say?" Chim asks holding his hand out.

Buck reaches and grabs hold, shaking Chim's arm up and down. "Fine, but no promises, I can't even stand to look at her, I just want to yell at her." He stares down at the ground.

"I'm sure you have your reasons and I get it. Families can suck, but let's focus on saving people," Chim says.

"Okay, I'll see you up there," Buck says as he takes his leave and heads up the stairs.

When he reaches the top, he sees his sister talking to Bobby and some others. Buck rolls his eyes and grabs an apple from the counter, makes a quick coffee while ignoring everyone that speaks to him. Walking to the other side of the upper floor and taking a seat looking out, he places the cup on the table and pulls out his phone. Repetition kicking in, and he loads up Alex's social media and sees he's somewhere in Italy. What hits Buck even more, is when he sees a photo of the one place he mentioned to Alex that he would love to visit. The Colosseum. It's like Alex knew Buck was checking, and this was his way of hurting him but Buck knew deep down Alex wouldn't do that to him, but the Colosseum image felt apt as he felt like he was in an arena and the lion is waiting to pounce. He can see out of the corner of his eye, Hen and Bobby talking and looking over at him, most likely discussing who was going to come over.

Buck looks back at his phone and continues to scroll through the images.

"Buck, do you think that it's healthy to do that?" Hen questions as she sits.

"Do what? See how my- well, I don't even know what he is anymore- is getting up to or distracting myself from the shambles that my life has become; even more so thanks to her," Buck says nodding towards Maddie.

"She is your sister, surely you can't be mad she is here? And maybe it's time you look at the facts with Alex; he has ghosted you and hasn't been in contact and I'm sorry to be so blunt Buck but I feel you need this- he isn't coming back! He left you and I'm sorry he did but you deserve so much better, and it is time you move on and enjoy life before the sorrow consumes you!" Hen finishes with a forceful exhale.

Buck looks at her, deep down he knew she was right. Alex wasn't coming back and he hadn't been in contact. Buck needed to focus on himself; he knew he was always feeling sad and lonely and he could be out there enjoying life. But now even if he wanted to do that the new storm called Maddie had rolled in, he just wished he could get a break for once, maybe he should get away, go on a trip.

"You're right, maybe it is time I moved on, maybe leave and travel," Buck says with a smile. It felt like a great idea and as he looked at Hen he could see the shock on her face

"Buckaroo, I didn't mean it like that," her worried tone hitting Buck's ears.

"It's fine Hen, it makes perfect sense. I need time to think and maybe a change of scenery will do me good. Thanks for making me see sense, I'll speak to Bobby in a bit." Buck explains

Hen goes to say something but the alarm goes off and they all make their way down to the trucks. Buck jumps in as Maddie joins them in the back. Buck looks at her and she smiles but he turns away as the truck speeds off.

"We have a pile-up on the freeway- three cars, no information on major casualties. Buck, I want you and Chimney to work on one car, myself and Kendal will work on another, and Mack and Hen on the third are we clear?" Bobby orders over the radio.

"Yes," is called out by everyone.

"By the way, just call me Mads, saves time," Maddie explains and Buck rolls his eyes as he watches the LA streets fly by.