Chapter 1 - Flames to the heart

Start bij het begin

"I needed to talk. Some things have happened and well... I'm in LA," she says. 'Oh great, now she is here and most likely in trouble.' Buck was in no mood for it today.

"Got to go, I need to get to work. You can call later, but I may be working late." He ends the call abruptly, hanging up on his sister.

He gets his seat belt on and starts the engine, driving to work with thoughts of Alex and Maddie now on his mind. He hadn't heard from her much since she got with Doug. Buck knew he was a douche but she was happy, so let her go on with it, he had his own problems with their parents and coming to terms with his sexuality. As he drives down the roads he focuses on driving and finally arrives at the station. Stepping out he grabs his bag and paints on the fake smile and attitude he had become so used to doing. Walking in he looks over and sees most of his team standing there looking towards the locker room.

"What are we looking at?" Buck asks as he approaches the group.

"The new recruit. Comes highly recommended apparently," Chimney replies.

"Best watch out Buck, you might not be the favourite anymore." Hen chuckles as she punches Buck in the arm. He shifts to look at the recruit, but all he can see is their back. They have a hat on but since they are so short it's all he can see.

"Ah, I see you've all noticed our new recruit. We were lucky to get them as they were poised for Station 6, but I persuaded them to join us," Bobby calls out.

"And what's their name?" Hen asks.

"It's recruit Ken-" starts Bobby, but is cut off by Buck who was watching as the person turned.

"Maddie!" Buck exclaims, shocked, and starts walking towards the lockers with his sister now looking at him.

"Evan, what are you doing here?" She says surprised.

"No, the question is what are you doing here at my place of work as a new recruit!" Buck snarls. He was not impressed. She had only just dropped the bomb that she was in LA but now here she was standing in front of him.

"It's complicated Evan; we can talk after the shift," she says as she turns and walks into the back.

Buck throws his bag down and punches his locker.

"Woah, what rattled your cage? And how do you know the recruit?" Bobby asks.

"She, well... she is my sister. I'm sorry Bobby, but I can't work with her." Buck looks at his Captain. He knows he sounds childish but it was hard enough focusing at the best of times; now with her here, he knows he would make a mistake.

"Buck, you don't get to decide who I hire, like I said she comes highly recommend. If I had known about her being your sister, I would have spoken to you first but I didn't and she didn't say she knew you so my hands are tied. Get dressed and we will try to work this out," Bobby speaks with a stern tone.

Buck rolls his eyes and goes to his locker, grabbing his uniform, and quickly changes. His head down as he ties his laces, he knows the person who just walked by was his sister. He didn't even acknowledge her. Chim walks in as he finishes tying his laces.

"Well, this day just got interesting didn't it? Why didn't you say we were getting your sister?" Chim asks.

"Not now Chimney, I'm not in the mood" Buck snarls, hoping his tone would put him off.

"No, Buck. I know you put on a front for us, I know you're hurting from... well- you know, but this is your sister and more importantly a part of our team. I get you have some history and we won't pry but like Bobby says; when you're here it's work and work only. Forget about other things." Chimney finishes his rant and Buck lets out a sigh.