Answers

So many options... yet there can be only one decision. One can feel the weight of those options looming over them, crawling in the deepest parts of their mind, snatching away the peace rudely.

A sigh escapes her, yet another day of bustling and overcrowded Edenbrook sucking out the energy from her. Casey shakes her head, as if trying to retrieve herself out of the daze as she lingers by a corner overlooking the atrium. A bittersweet feeling overwhelms her, the thought of Edenbrook closing down, her uncertain future making her stomach churn with anxiety. It's been haunting her for quite a while now, but it's not just her future she's worried about, it's about their future too.

The fundraiser gala is a long gone rush of happiness now, but a part of her still feels grateful for the gala. Why? Because after all this time, several heart breaks and months of pining, she is finally his, officially. Or... That's how she likes to think. It's been quite a while without him now, yeah they do see each other everyday, but things aren't the same anymore. She tries to shake off the feeling that hurts her immensely, but she fails badly. She couldn't help but feel like Ethan has been avoiding her, but maybe it's just her insecurity?

A warm, welcoming voice snaps her out of her unfocused blur, "Casey? Are you alright?"

She turns around, those very familiar pair of ocean blue eyes magically restoring some power inside her as she finds herself staring. Brows furrowed with concern, he softly touches her shoulder, "Casey?"

Blinking a few times, she nods, "Yeah! I am alright, just a bit tired... I guess."

His narrows his eyes immediately, knowing very well that she's lying, his hand lands protectively on the small of her back, "Let's go to Derry roasters. I'm sure some caffeine will help cheer you up."

Noticing that she's not budging, he leans in to whisper in her ear, "And it'll be a great chance to steal some alone time together."

She looks around, shaking her head, "Ethan... I don't think that leaving Edenbrook is a good idea right now, I appreciate the offer. But I'm fine."

"Wait-"

"There are many other ways to steal some alone time together, Ethan. If that's what you want. I can come over tonight-"

"That won't be necessary!"

Her lips part in surprise, a flash of pain crossing her emeralds before she skillfully hides it, nodding. "Okay, okay, I won't."

He purses his lips together, the tension between them undeniably thick. "Uhm. Then we can visit the team office, my old faithful coffee machine is still there."

She looks down, her eyes fixed on her feet as she ponders over his proposal.

"Come on, Casey."

Wordlessly, she walks up to the elevator, Ethan following suit.

~

After a short elevator ride, they reach the floor, his hand rubbing her back all the way up soothingly. He drops a light kiss on her forehead, gliding through the deserted halls. The automatic doors of the diagnostic team office open up, both of them stepping inside together. Casey looks around, the surroundings giving her the comfort of a home, after all, this is the place which holds so many memories of her last year in Edenbrook.

She remembers all the brainstorming sessions with Ethan. The way his eyes lit up with pride when she solved the cases. The inner turmoil flickering in the depths of the ocean as they held hands. The lingering touches, the stolen kisses, and last but not the least... that night of the hopeful hearts gala.

"I love tasting you..."

"I love the way you do it..."