vulnerability

"a mere one-tenth of a gram of antimatter puts out as much energy as an atomic blast. by splicing the particle acceleration cycle of antimatter into the life cycle of a cell, yanagisawa's research enabled rapid regeneration of organic compounds. his subject, the legendary assassin known as the reaper underwent a daily battery of tests. coursing through the subject's body, antimatter energy appropriated the tissues to create tough, flexible limbs, possessed of an astonishing dexterity.

"yanagisawa dubbed these 'tentacles,' and reinforced the restraining table as a precaution, leaving aguri alone to monitor his creation. she, in turn, was not unaware of the danger. she understood that the reaper know neither his real name nor the day he was born. that his easy smile and gift for small talk were simply part of his wheelhouse, as a killer. and he understood her.

"he could see that there was no love between her and her fiancé, the brutal yanagisawa. he knew that her little sister was an acclaimed actress. a year had passed since this unlikely pairs meeting, and somewhere along the way, they become something not unlike old friends."

as the octopus went on with his explanation, i couldn't help the sadness that crept in me the more he spoke. i knew his past had most likely been tragic enough to where he'd shirk off explaining it at every given chance. but the fact that he was tortured and experimented on for over a year, just to become this?

it was absolutely heartbreaking.

"before he realized it, his smile was no longer just a means to an end. the first time they knew one another's touch, was three hours before the moon exploded."

i inhale a bit at that small revelation, but listen back in. i barely recognize the grip tightening on my hand, staring up at the reminiscing octopus as he continues on, but i do squeeze the hand back.

"she had seen everything. and despite it all, she was hopeful. i... i hadn't expected her to react as she did. this was something completely new."

taking a glance at kayano, i saw her eyes wide, the same for a lot of the rest of us.

"then he really understood. her many faults, had been part of her charm... the tentacles spoke to me—asked what i wanted to be. to be weak, i said. to be flawed; vulnerable. to perceive weakness in others; not to exploit, but protect. to be a guide. to be a teacher.

"sometimes, i'll be wrong. sometimes, my old self will bubble up t the surface. but, i will give it my all. i'll honor aguri's memory, carry on her work, the best way i know how.

"that's my story, boys and girls. the person who taught me how to be a teacher, was none other than yukimura aguri. she taught me to truly look at people. to respect everyone as an equal. not to define human beings by their weakness. she was wonderful; through her, i found my purpose in life. i evaluated my experience, collected all the knowledge i could, and prepared to pick up where she left off. i vowed to use my abilities to the fullest to pass the gift of personal growth onto you. the question was, how? how best to reach her cherished e-class? i wracked my brain, day and night, and suddenly it came to me, an entirely new kind of learning environment.

"the assassination classroom."

everyone was quiet after he was finished. all the memories from this year began to rush through my mind, and i barely managed to keep myself from getting too emotional over them. it wasn't the time or place to do that, and i doubt he wanted anyone getting too upset over this whole thing.