Chapter 38: Beacon of Hope Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

Damn.... she truly believed she could fix this mess somehow and make Levi and Erwin cooperate.

Plus: Levi still seems to be very hurt as well. No surprise, though. Nina and Levi parted ways in the worst way possible and have both suffered deep wounds, invisible for the human eye, and these wounds were still fresh and bleeding, and whether Mikasa nor Erwin can tell how long it might take for these wounds to heal.

Perhaps it would be better when Levi doesn't know where Nina is right now...

"And? No more questions from you? Done with interrogating? No more insults? No more scolding? Or is there anything left you want to know or you want to throw into my face before I leave this house and this god-forsaken town behind?"

Levi was still determined to leave this place. Mikasa wasn't even sure anymore if she can convince him to stay and overthink things.

"No. I'm done. With everything. Once your clothes are done and clean, you're free to leave."

With that, their conversation ended. Mikasa stood up from her seat with a frown, sighing as she made her way towards the room to check on Levi's clothes, while the male stayed seated on his spot, silently sipping his tea and his expression dead and emotionless.

If Mikasa wasn't absolutely sure that Levi was still sitting in the living room, she would think she was alone. No sound or noise came from him. It was dead silent. He hadn't even turned on the television. After checking his clothes, she went back to keep an eye on him.

"Your things need another half an hour."

"Fine."

She didn't even recognize her cousin. He was silent and aloof before, but now it seemed as if he was dead inside. That's exactly how Levi felt. His teacup had long been empty, and yet he was clutching the edge of it with his fingertips while he stared into oblivion, just waiting to leave this place with his clean clothes.

Without a word, Mikasa went into the adjacent, open kitchen to start preparing dinner, but before she could even reach for a knife, her cell phone vibrated with an incoming call. Her eyes widened as she read the hospital number on the display. This could mean two things: Either it is bad news that Nina's condition has worsened, or it is a request to pick up or bring something.

Hopefully the latter.

"Hello?" Mikasa was more than surprised to hear that Erwin spoke to her from the other end.

"Has something happened or why are you calling me on that phone? ..... I told you to charge your cell phone. Yes, yes, it's okay. I wanted to go back to her home anyway and pick up a few things. I already have some of Nina's clothes here to wash. I'll bring them next time. ..... No, I'll tell you everything afterward. See you later."

"Who was that? Why do you have Nina's clothes here to wash? Is she here with you and stays for a while, or why? "

Mikasa had barely finished the call when Levi asked what he had just heard. As soon as he heard the name "Nina", he just couldn't help it.

"I don't know why that should be of any concern for you, but since you've already asked, I probably have no other choice: No, she is not here and she is not coming either. In fact, she hasn't been going anywhere in a while. "

"What do you mean by that?! Stop talking in riddles and finally spit out! " The fact that Levi can become so aggressive so quickly was new, even for Mikasa.

"Nina is in the hospital." She finally answered dryly.

"WHAT?! Since when ?! "

"For almost two weeks. A few days after you broke up with her in such a cruel way, she is in the hospital with a high fever and circulatory collapse, so far without any improvement. "