Chapter 37: What shall we do? Pt. 3

Mikasa P.O.V.

The situation changed so quickly that I first thought Erwin was joking at the expense of Nina's disease, but I was wrong. So wrong.

How could I ever have guessed that there was so much more to it than I first thought?

When Erwin told me the story of how it all happened here, I didn't waste a single thought that he acted out of love. Why even?

I was so mad at him when I heard what he had pulled off, so mad, that I couldn't think of anything else but to stop myself from slapping him here and now, but when I dug deeper and asked for more credible reasons, the whole tragedy was revealed to me.

Now I had a former commander sitting in front of me who was on his knees before me while I was trying to comfort him. I never thought things would change so much.

Now I finally understood Erwin. Why he acted the way he did. He did it out of love, out of honest, deep love.

How could I still be angry with him? Sure, part of me still was, but it was forgotten soon.

Now it was time to settle more important things.

"And how exactly do you think how things should go on from here? Have you thought about that yet? "

He hung his head and sighed, ran a hand through his hair, which was otherwise so neat and well-groomed and now completely out of shape and looking like a haystack. If Erwin neglects his appearance so much, even though he is so anxious to always look well-groomed, then the whole situation must take a bigger toll on him than I thought.

"More or less. From the beginning, I promised Nina to stay with her and support her and be there for her, no matter what. That still applies, but I don't want to put any pressure on her. Separation from someone you love leaves a deep wound, and Nina's wound is very deep. She still loves him deeply, and although he broke up with her, it will take a long time to get over it. I told her that I will be waiting for her, that I will be there for her if she wants me and that she was finally willing to love me, but that would be wrong at the moment. I want to leave the decision to her alone and not force her to do anything she doesn't want, you understand? "

"Of course I do. Honestly, I am amazed at how factual and well thought out this thought is. Judging from what you told me, you hardly missed an opportunity to impose yourself on her, whether it's a hug or a kiss. "

"Can't you forget about that? Just for a moment? " Groaned Erwin annoyed.

"No. Don't expect me to drop the topic so quickly. I'm still pissed off that you pulled such an asshole-move and brought Levi and Nina into such a shitty situation. I don't want to keep repeating myself, so you'll better memorize what a shitty friend you were. Roger that?"

He sighed again, but I saw him nod weakly.

"Yeah, yeah. I understand. No more sneaky moves and no playing with other people's feelings. "

Satisfied with the answer, I hummed in agreement and slapped him on the shoulder with my fist, causing him to flinch and wince.

"Ouch! What was that for now? " he whined as he rubbed his shoulder.

"For being an asshole and as a warning for the future. Now get up and get prepared. You look like a tramp. You don't want Nina to die from shock when she wakes up, don't you? "

"Huh? What do you mean?" Erwin made a face like a puppy hearing a new command for the first time. It looked almost cute.

"What does it sound like, you bright spark? You will now make yourself beautiful and then go back up to Nina and be there for her, just like a good friend should do. "